Very simple gravity question on another planet.

In summary, The conversation was about a physics problem where a ball is released from rest from a height of h on Planet X and takes a time of t to reach the ground. The individual's initial guess was m*((h/t)/t) but they were informed that their answer was off by a multiplicative factor. They then realized that the change in velocity is h/t and the final speed after falling the distance h must be taken into account. The correct answer is (2*h*m)/t^2.
trancekid
Alright I am obviously retarded since I am unable to figure this question out.

The question is:

You have just landed on Planet X. You take out a ball of mass m, release it from rest from a height of h and measure that it takes a time of t to reach the ground. You can ignore any force on the ball from the atmosphere of the planet.

My guess as to what the answer would be is: m*((h/t)/t)

since weight equals mass times acceleration and the acceleration equals change in velocity over time. I figured it starts at 0 and ends at h, so the change in velocity is h/t. Where am i going wrong with this?

The error or hint I am receiving is "Your answer is off by a multiplicative factor."

Anyone have any ideas? I have to answer this problem within the next 2 hours and I still can't figure it out. I would try changing my original answer above a bit, but if I guess anymore I get zero credit for the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
trancekid said:
since weight equals mass times acceleration and the acceleration equals change in velocity over time. I figured it starts at 0 and ends at h, so the change in velocity is h/t. Where am i going wrong with this?
h/t is the average velocity during the fall, not the change in velocity. Since it starts with speed = 0, what must be the final speed after falling the distance h?

got it... (2*h*m)/t^2

Last edited:

1. How does gravity work on other planets?

The force of gravity on other planets is determined by their mass and size. The larger and more massive a planet is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. This means that the gravity on other planets may be stronger or weaker than on Earth, depending on their specific characteristics.

2. Does gravity on other planets affect objects differently?

Yes, the gravity on other planets affects objects differently depending on their mass. Objects with more mass will experience a stronger gravitational force, while objects with less mass will experience a weaker force. This is why astronauts can jump higher on the moon, where the gravitational pull is weaker than on Earth.

3. How is gravity measured on other planets?

Gravity on other planets is measured using a device called a gravimeter. This instrument detects changes in gravitational force and can be used to calculate the gravity on different planets. Scientists also use mathematical equations to estimate the gravity on planets based on their mass and size.

4. Can gravity ever be completely eliminated on other planets?

No, gravity cannot be completely eliminated on other planets. However, it can be reduced through various factors such as distance from the planet's center or the presence of other large objects nearby. For example, astronauts in orbit experience a microgravity environment, but they are still affected by the planet's gravity.

5. How does gravity on other planets affect the movement of objects?

The gravity on other planets affects the movement of objects by pulling them towards the planet's center. This means that objects will fall towards the ground with a force determined by the planet's gravity. The shape and composition of the planet's surface can also affect the movement of objects, such as causing them to roll or slide instead of falling straight down.