What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
Evo said:
You mean it hasn't had an accident yet?

SHAMEFUL!

It takes time to plan where an accident might happen.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
How do i clean one Turbo? you are welcome to some spine chops.
First off, you slice the belly from ribcage to privates, being certain to avoid the bladder and other bad parts (though from the British proclivity toward kidneys, you may not have as much trouble with that as I do). Once the abdominal cavity is cleaned out, you use a sharp knife to remove the diaphragm, you slash the throat to free the lungs and you reach up and haul out the lungs and heart. At this time, you should salvage the heart and the liver (from the abdominal procedure) and set those aside, and hose out the interior of the carcass. If the weather is cool enough (40-45 deg F), you should hang the venison for at least a few days, before butchering. I've done this since I was a kid, and it's pretty much paint-by-numbers once you've had a run-through. Or as you would say "and Bob's your uncle".

Thanks Turbo, all i have to do now is bide my time.

Moonbear said:
Sorry, I didn't see your post before I spoiled it for you. Darn! Had I seen this first, I could have arranged to split it with you in return for keeping my mouth shut. :biggrin:
As you and I both know, the physical deformities of the animals and the attendant medical problems and chances for human infections from meats of this type are best assessed by a thorough examination of these muscles. Lax procedures in cases like this (especially when the general health of an introduced species is concerned) may risk lives. We have to be vigilant. OK, Moonbear gets half the sample. The roughly cylindrical muscles paralleling the spine must be overnighted to us so that we can ensure that the remaining meat is safe to eat. I'm not intimating that scrapie, bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or any other nasty stuff could have gotten a foot-hold in this introduced species, but we need to be sure.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
As you and I both know, the physical deformities of the animals and the attendant medical problems and chances for human infections from meats of this type are best assessed by a thorough examination of these muscles. Lax procedures in cases like this (especially when the general health of an introduced species is concerned) may risk lives. We have to be vigilant. OK, Moonbear gets half the sample.

Yep, definitely important enough to require independent verification by a second study group. Wouldn't want to risk something so important on a single study in the event of a false negative. :approve: Of course, since there's one of those muscles on each side, we could each get one. It's the easiest way to divide it for shipping.

Moonbear said:
Yep, definitely important enough to require independent verification by a second study group. Wouldn't want to risk something so important on a single study in the event of a false negative. :approve: Of course, since there's one of those muscles on each side, we could each get one. It's the easiest way to divide it for shipping.

And what bit am i left with, i am not eating innards.

Moonbear said:
That's the way medical research is done. I won't disclose my testing methodology to you and you must not disclose yours to me. This blind comparison should serve to quell all the negative talk about the diseases borne by the barking deer, if we both come up negative. If not, we'll need more tissue samples to ferret out the truth.

Yours in medical research,
turbo-1

So, I can't remember which thread we were talking about sarasparilla in, but I decided I had to try it. I found a place that sells it and ships it, and I'm sitting here with a glass of it right now. Yummy! This is what I remember root beer tasting like as a kid! It's completely changed since then, and I hadn't realized how much until I started sipping this glass of soda and the memories just came wooshing back! While ordering, I also got some birch beer, white birch beer (never tried that...not sure if it'll be any different from the regular stuff), neither of which I can find in the local stores but really like, and ginger beer, since the same place sold that too and I've always wondered how that tasted too. If anyone else is just dying to try it, or misses it, here's where I got it from. http://www.kutztownbottlingworks.com/ (Turn the volume down on your speakers...their home page has some really cheesy music that's kind of loud and annoying.) The downside is shipping costs almost as much as the soda. But, now that I know it's good, I might just make sure it's on my route when I drive back to NJ to visit family (though, I need to verify they have an actual storefront somewhere too). This was definitely worth the splurge though (the poor UPS guy might disagree...that was one heavy box with all that soda in it).

Moonbear said:
So, I can't remember which thread we were talking about sarasparilla in, but I decided I had to try it. I found a place that sells it and ships it, and I'm sitting here with a glass of it right now. Yummy! This is what I remember root beer tasting like as a kid! It's completely changed since then, and I hadn't realized how much until I started sipping this glass of soda and the memories just came wooshing back! While ordering, I also got some birch beer, white birch beer (never tried that...not sure if it'll be any different from the regular stuff), neither of which I can find in the local stores but really like, and ginger beer, since the same place sold that too and I've always wondered how that tasted too. If anyone else is just dying to try it, or misses it, here's where I got it from. http://www.kutztownbottlingworks.com/ (Turn the volume down on your speakers...their home page has some really cheesy music that's kind of loud and annoying.) The downside is shipping costs almost as much as the soda. But, now that I know it's good, I might just make sure it's on my route when I drive back to NJ to visit family (though, I need to verify they have an actual storefront somewhere too). This was definitely worth the splurge though (the poor UPS guy might disagree...that was one heavy box with all that soda in it).
And it's a <cough> aphrodisiac.

Evo said:
And it's a <cough> aphrodisiac.

Well, nobody told me that before. Hmmm...not that there are any good candidates around at the moment. Guess I'll have to save some. :biggrin:

Mmmm, birch beer. That was my favorite when I was a kid. It was red in color with a tinge of brown. I don't know that I would like it today if they've gone to corn syrup for sweetening, though. None of today's sodas taste like the old ones that used real cane sugar.

turbo-1 said:
Mmmm, birch beer. That was my favorite when I was a kid. It was red in color with a tinge of brown. I don't know that I would like it today if they've gone to corn syrup for sweetening, though. None of today's sodas taste like the old ones that used real cane sugar.

The ones I got DO use can sugar instead of corn syrup. :approve: Maybe that's the huge difference I notice in how the soda tastes...it doesn't have that really heavy, overly sweet taste that the sodas with corn syrup have.

Sounds good. I remember doing some consulting work in Kentucky and the nearest town with decent lodging was Paducah. I met a musician there and went back to his place to jam with his band one Saturday. He had RC Cola in the fridge and offered me one. I took it though I hadn't drunk soda for a long time, and it tasted great. He explained that the mother of the owner of the bottling plant liked RC, but corn syrup disagreed with her, so her son kept using the old cane sugar recipe. Huge difference.

Great picture turbo!

Last night my older daughter spawn of Evo was going to come by and make dinner, but she'd had a fever all day, so she stopped at the noodle restaurant around the corner from my house and bought the "pasta fresca". This was penne pasta, roma tomatoes, baby spinach and onions sauteed in a sauce of balsamic vinegar, white wine, roasted garlic and fresh herbs, topped with feta cheese.

If was very yummy, but WAY too stingy with the spinach, onions and feta. I'd like to make a version of it using the right amounts of ingredients. I swear I only found 2 baby spinach leaves smaller than my thumb in a half pound of pasta. And that tiny measuring teaspoon of feta disappeared in the pile. The sauce was excellent though.

Evo said:
Great picture turbo!

Last night my older daughter spawn of Evo was going to come by and make dinner, but she'd had a fever all day, so she stopped at the noodle restaurant around the corner from my house and bought the "pasta fresca". This was penne pasta, roma tomatoes, baby spinach and onions sauteed in a sauce of balsamic vinegar, white wine, roasted garlic and fresh herbs, topped with feta cheese.

If was very yummy, but WAY too stingy with the spinach, onions and feta. I'd like to make a version of it using the right amounts of ingredients. I swear I only found 2 baby spinach leaves smaller than my thumb in a half pound of pasta. And that tiny measuring teaspoon of feta disappeared in the pile. The sauce was excellent though.
So typical! Noodles are cheap, and fresh vegetables and cheeses are relatively expensive. That recipe sounds very similar to stuff that my wife and I throw together. It's great to get fresh vegetables out of the garden and roast or saute them, then combine them with a sauce of cheap wine (but not the salted cooking "wines"!) herbs, seasonings, and serve over pasta with a shredded cheese - feta is OK, but I prefer Romano in most instances.

I love summer and early fall. Just wander out into the garden, see what's at its peak for flavor and ripeness, and the supper menu is underway. I harvested our acorn squash yesterday, and got about 30 nice ones. They are sitting in our nice warm kitchen to dry and cure for a couple of weeks, then I'll take them to the cellar where it is cool and dry. They could easily last until at least February, if we don't eat them all first. Acorn squash is the best!

I bought a whole smoked turkey today. A couple of weeks ago all I could find were legs.

We will be eating high on the hog, or rather the turkey for the next couple of weeks, there are so many recipes that you can throw smoked turkey into. I'm thinking perhaps a smoked turkey chili.

Smoked turkey also goes very well in New England style baked beans. Lately, we've been making baked beans using Black Turtle Beans, instead of the tradition Soldier or Yellow-Eye varieties. It is killer with black beans. We used to make baked beans with salt pork years back, but have been making them with chicken thighs, smoked turkey, left-over pork spare ribs, etc. As long as you use dark meat from the birds, and good cuts of pork, there is enough fat and flavor to perk up the beans nicely.

There is no way I could even inhale the fumes from something that hot.

I've been living off of potato chips for 2 days now. They were on sale.

I need someone in my life that enjoys good food. The fruit bat is perfectly happy eating chips for dinner, so I have no reason to cook. :cry: I need someone to cook for, oooh, maybe I can find homeless people...

Last edited:
Evo said:
There is no way I could even inhale the fumes from something that hot.

I've been living off of potato chips for 2 days now. They were on sale.

I need someone in my life that enjoys good food. The fruit bat is perfectly happy eating chips for dinner, so I have no reason to cook. :cry: I need someone to cook for, oooh, maybe I can find homeless people...
Start thinking "potato, carrot, cabbage, onion, garlic, meat" and start thinking of a meal that SOMEONE might have suggested a few times, not that I know a damned bit more than your favorite Alton/Raye/XXX advisors. Make real meals, and save and savor the left-overs. Take control.

I bought super fine bread flour instead of self raising, apart from bread, is there any thing i can make with it?
Thankee.

I have a recipe, cut a potatoes into 1/4inch thick scallops, mix a half teaspoon of Daves insanity hot sauce with two table spoons of oil, line a baking tin with foil and spread the potatoes evenly, sprinkle with sea salt and the oil mix, bake folded
in the foil for 30mins, uncover and bake for 15mins, sprinkle with strong cheese and bake for 5mins, makes a lovely snack.

Last edited:
Wow! that does sound good, and I might try more than just potatoes in that. Sounds like a great place for sliced yellow onions and carrots, too!

How difficult is it to make spicy sausages, the ones that keep for a long time, i like the taste of some of them only they are like chewing leather, can they be made with a softer texture?

turbo-1 said:
Wow! that does sound good, and I might try more than just potatoes in that. Sounds like a great place for sliced yellow onions and carrots, too!

9 out of 10 of my efforts end in the bin, my treacle sponge turned out like molten glass.

I love hot food 99% of the time, but some times i crave sweet, the only sweet thing i like is treacle, it is that sort of toffee taste, i think the once a month sweet binge revives my taste buds and the craving for hot food.

Smoked oysters and mussels. :!)

wolram said:
I will pay £500 for one weeks board and food.
Sounds like a good deal, but first tell me if you can practically inhale food when you taste something that you like. I'd have to charge you double if you can eat like Astronuc and/or his son. Those fellas can pack it away. :tongue2::biggrin:

Evo said:
Smoked oysters and mussels. :!)
Oh, yeah! Smoked oysters or smoked baby clams with sharp Vermont cheddar, mustard, and/or cream cheese and chili jelly on wheat crackers. When we have BBQ's or family get-togethers, hors d'oeuvres like this are standard. My nieces and nephews learned young that the green jelly was jalapeno, and the pretty pink jelly was habanero. :devil: Every one of them got the chance to explore. My sister and her daughters visited with their spouses last summer after one of the nieces got married and one had her first child. They and their husbands lugged off jellies and salsas, and one (precious) jar of habanero relish when they went home.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Sounds like a good deal, but first tell me if you can practically inhale food when you taste something that you like. I'd have to charge you double if you can eat like Astronuc and/or his son. Those fellas can pack it away. :tongue2::biggrin:

To me quality is everything, i eat little and often, some times my metabolism is dormant.

Come over when your metabolism is on low and when the weather is temperate. I'll set up a cot in the garage and you can work in the vegetable garden or pick wild berries for entertainment. We may "rough it" with cheeseburgers, stir-fries, etc, but I promise you at least one New England boiled dinner - the left-overs are often better than the original meal because the flavors have a chance to set in. Have you tried making this meal, Woolie? If not, and if you'd like to give it a shot, I'll re-post the instructions. It's a killer meal for people who live alone or who have small families because it is cheap and very easy to make and results in the best left-overs you've ever had.

Boiled dinner? i guess if you say it is good it must be, i like beef stew with dumplings,
just so long as the dumplings are light and do not stick to yer teeth.

I am an ace berry picker, but need picture cards to identify weed from food.

Last edited:
wolram said:
Boiled dinner? i guess if you say it is good it must be, i like beef stew with dumplings,
just so long as the dumplings are light and do not stick to yer teeth.

I am an ace berry picker, but need picture cards to identify weed from food.
Woolie, this will kick beef stew's butt over and over again, and it is TOO easy to make.

There are lots of things that my wife cooks better than I do, but she has ceded cooking these pot roasts to me (and the smoking of turkeys, making salsas, etc). I take the pan out to the side burner on the grill with just a thin layer of peanut oil on the bottom of the pan and sear the entire outside surface of the roast, previously rubbed with salt and black pepper, until it is well-browned and the meat juices have formed a caramelized brown glaze on the bottom of the pan. This is smoky work, so I do it outside. Then I take the pan back to the cook stove, dump in about a pint of cheap burgundy and about enough water to cover the roast, add powdered garlic and onion and bring to a boil. After the roast has simmered for about 3 hours or so, I throw in all the vegetables (turnip, carrots, potato, onion and some fresh garlic), and let them cook for about another hour and a half to soak up that dark juice and get the flavors combined. After removing the meat and vegetables, I keep the juice simmering and whisk in a solution of cool water and corn starch, until a nice rich gravy forms. And dinner's ON!

As long as you watch the liquid level in the pan (keeping the cover on is mandatory) you CANNOT blow this recipe. You can tinker with herbs (basil, parsley, oregano, etc) later, but try the basic recipe first. It's easy to make and tend on a rainy/snowy day, and you will have anew favorite meal. Use a very cheap cut of meat (beef shoulder roast is best IMO) and buy it on sale - you'll thank me.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Woolie, this will kick beef stew's butt over and over again, and it is TOO easy to make.

There are lots of things that my wife cooks better than I do, but she has ceded cooking these pot roasts to me (and the smoking of turkeys, making salsas, etc). I take the pan out to the side burner on the grill with just a thin layer of peanut oil on the bottom of the pan and sear the entire outside surface of the roast, previously rubbed with salt and black pepper, until it is well-browned and the meat juices have formed a caramelized brown glaze on the bottom of the pan. This is smoky work, so I do it outside. Then I take the pan back to the cook stove, dump in about a pint of cheap burgundy and about enough water to cover the roast, add powdered garlic and onion and bring to a boil. After the roast has simmered for about 3 hours or so, I throw in all the vegetables (turnip, carrots, potato, onion and some fresh garlic), and let them cook for about another hour and a half to soak up that dark juice and get the flavors combined. After removing the meat and vegetables, I keep the juice simmering and whisk in a solution of cool water and corn starch, until a nice rich gravy forms. And dinner's ON!

As long as you watch the liquid level in the pan (keeping the cover on is mandatory) you CANNOT blow this recipe. You can tinker with herbs (basil, parsley, oregano, etc) later, but try the basic recipe first. It's easy to make and tend on a rainy/snowy day, and you will have anew favorite meal. Use a very cheap cut of meat (beef shoulder roast is best IMO) and buy it on sale - you'll thank me.

So now i need a fresh shirt, i like the bit about caramlised brown glaze.

I it all, except parsley... =)))

Maria Porerro said:
I it all, except parsley... =)))
That was only a suggestion. If I were to play with herbs with this dish (and I have) I'd go with a few torn-up leaves of fresh basil. :tongue2: I made this for my father when he came down for dinner last weekend, and kept it simple. Served with some home-made dill pickles and some yellow mustard on the side for the beef, it was great. We split the left-overs with him because he doesn't bother to cook much.

What are your favorite pots and pans?

<h2>What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?</h2><p>1. What types of food are typically discussed in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>The Food Thread on PF is a place for members to share and discuss all types of food, from home-cooked meals to restaurant recommendations. You can expect to see a variety of cuisines and dishes being discussed, as well as tips and tricks for cooking and eating out.</p><p>2. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in the Food Thread on PF. Please make sure all posts are related to food and follow the community guidelines for respectful and appropriate discussion. Additionally, do not share any copyrighted material or spam the thread with excessive self-promotion.</p><p>3. Can I ask for recipes or cooking advice in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, the Food Thread on PF is a great place to ask for recipes or cooking advice. Many members are happy to share their favorite recipes or offer tips and tricks for improving your cooking skills. Just be sure to be specific in your requests and thank those who offer their help.</p><p>4. Is the Food Thread on PF only for experienced cooks and foodies?</p><p>No, the Food Thread on PF is open to everyone regardless of their level of cooking experience. Whether you are a beginner looking for simple recipes or a seasoned chef looking to share your expertise, you are welcome to participate in the discussion. We encourage a friendly and supportive environment for all members.</p><p>5. Can I post pictures of food in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, sharing pictures of food is encouraged in the Food Thread on PF. It's a great way to showcase your cooking skills or share delicious meals you've had at restaurants. However, please be mindful of any food allergies or sensitivities that other members may have and include a description of the dish in your post.</p>

What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

1. What types of food are typically discussed in the Food Thread on PF?

The Food Thread on PF is a place for members to share and discuss all types of food, from home-cooked meals to restaurant recommendations. You can expect to see a variety of cuisines and dishes being discussed, as well as tips and tricks for cooking and eating out.

2. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in the Food Thread on PF. Please make sure all posts are related to food and follow the community guidelines for respectful and appropriate discussion. Additionally, do not share any copyrighted material or spam the thread with excessive self-promotion.

3. Can I ask for recipes or cooking advice in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, the Food Thread on PF is a great place to ask for recipes or cooking advice. Many members are happy to share their favorite recipes or offer tips and tricks for improving your cooking skills. Just be sure to be specific in your requests and thank those who offer their help.

4. Is the Food Thread on PF only for experienced cooks and foodies?

No, the Food Thread on PF is open to everyone regardless of their level of cooking experience. Whether you are a beginner looking for simple recipes or a seasoned chef looking to share your expertise, you are welcome to participate in the discussion. We encourage a friendly and supportive environment for all members.

5. Can I post pictures of food in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, sharing pictures of food is encouraged in the Food Thread on PF. It's a great way to showcase your cooking skills or share delicious meals you've had at restaurants. However, please be mindful of any food allergies or sensitivities that other members may have and include a description of the dish in your post.