Looking for Borwein's/Zucker's fast algorithm for the gamma function.

In summary, The Borwein/Zucker algorithm is a method for efficiently computing certain values of the gamma function using AGM and elliptic integrals of the first kind. It has been praised for its effectiveness, but finding information about it online can be difficult. However, there are discussions and resources available, such as the paper in the link provided, that discuss the algorithm in detail.
mesa
Gold Member
I have heard that the Borwein/Zucker algorithm for computing certain values of the gamma function is pretty awesome, but finding it online is proving elusive...

Does anyone know the algorithm?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
Is this what you're looking for?

http://imajna.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/4/519

That is as far as I have gotten (can't afford the $38). I don't need the whole paper, although it would be nice to have just the algorithm would be good enough for now.

As I understand it they use AGM and elliptic integrals of the first kind in order to compute large decimal approximations for certain values of the gamma function with very few steps, but that is about all I know of it so far :P

mesa said:
That is as far as I have gotten (can't afford the $38). I don't need the whole paper, although it would be nice to have just the algorithm would be good enough for now.

As I understand it they use AGM and elliptic integrals of the first kind in order to compute large decimal approximations for certain values of the gamma function with very few steps, but that is about all I know of it so far :P

I have access to it, and if it's not objectionable to you, I'm happy to email you a pdf.

Did you see this discussion?

http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...-gamma-function-to-high-precision-efficiently

I have literally no idea what they're talking about, but perhaps they discuss it in enough detail for you.

Likes 1 person

1. What is Borwein's/Zucker's fast algorithm for the gamma function?

Borwein's/Zucker's fast algorithm is a method for computing the gamma function, which is a mathematical function used to find the area under a curve. It is named after mathematicians Jonathan Borwein and Ira Zucker, who developed the algorithm in 1991. It is known for its speed and accuracy compared to other methods.

2. How does the fast algorithm work?

The fast algorithm uses a combination of numerical integration and approximation techniques to compute the gamma function. It involves breaking the function into smaller, more manageable pieces and then using a series of approximations to find the final result. This approach reduces the number of calculations needed and improves the speed of computation.

3. What are the advantages of using Borwein's/Zucker's fast algorithm?

One of the main advantages of this algorithm is its speed. It can compute the gamma function much faster than other methods, making it useful for applications that require quick calculations. Additionally, the algorithm is also known for its accuracy, producing results that are very close to the true value of the gamma function.

4. Are there any limitations to the fast algorithm?

While Borwein's/Zucker's fast algorithm is generally very efficient, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not work well for very large or very small values of the gamma function, as the approximations used in the algorithm may not be accurate enough in these cases. Additionally, the algorithm may not be suitable for certain types of functions that are not well-behaved.

5. How is the fast algorithm used in practical applications?

The fast algorithm for the gamma function has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used to calculate various quantities, such as probabilities, areas under curves, and energy levels. It is also used in computer software and algorithms that require quick and accurate computations of the gamma function.