Freshman Engineering Project

by Rohan95
Tags: common problems, engineering, freshman, freshman project, project
Rohan95
Feb18-14, 08:45 AM
P: 1
I am an IITian freshman. We have been asked to manufacture a product, something that is made in workshops, (i.e. should include, but may not restricted to, carpentry, casting of metals, and such other methods.) The product should be innovative, and should address some problem. I am running out of ideas, so please put forward your problems so I may find a solution to them.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
WSU innovation improves drowsy driver detection
Faster computation of electromagnetic interference on an electronic circuit board
berkeman
Feb18-14, 03:53 PM
Mentor
P: 39,720
Quote Quote by Rohan95 View Post
I am an IITian freshman. We have been asked to manufacture a product, something that is made in workshops, (i.e. should include, but may not restricted to, carpentry, casting of metals, and such other methods.) The product should be innovative, and should address some problem. I am running out of ideas, so please put forward your problems so I may find a solution to them.
Welcome to the PF.

Please tell us some of your ideas so far. That will help us to make suggestions.

Are you going to actually make one, or is this a paper exercise?
ModestyKing
Feb21-14, 12:22 PM
P: 41
Hi there Rohan! IIT as in Illinois Institute of Technology? I'll probably be going there next year!

Anyways, think of what could be useful. Spoons and utensils? Furniture, especially wooden? Heck, a sword! Better yet, think of the problems in third world countries and what could be manufactured there to help with that. For example, http://www.gizmag.com/wello-waterwhe...ansport/30325/
That's made out of plastics and all, but something similar could be made in metal form, potentially.

SteamKing
Feb22-14, 03:15 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,598

Freshman Engineering Project

Could also be the Indian Institute of Technology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_..._of_Technology

Register to reply