Calculating Heat Transfer in a Reversible Isothermal Process with a Slow Leak

In summary, a rigid tank with a volume of .5m^3 was initially evacuated. A tiny hole developed and air seeped in at 1 bar and 21 degrees C. The pressure in the tank reached 1 bar and remained at 21 degrees C due to a slow leak. The amount of heat transfer in this reversible isothermal process can be found using the formula Q=T[S(2)-S(1)], where S represents entropy. Alternatively, the formula PV = mRT can be used if the assumptions of negligible kinetic and potential energy are made. The state of the air (superheated, etc.) can be determined by using a control volume and referencing the appropriate table for temperature and pressure values.
DazedNConfused

Homework Statement

Rigid tank volume .5m^3 initially evacuated. Tiny hole develops, air seeps in @ 1 bar and 21 degrees C. Pressure in tank reaches 1 bar, slow leak so temp remains 21 deg C inside tank. What's amount of heat transfer?

Homework Equations

Q=T[S(2)-S(1)]
Pv=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I understand this is a reversible isothermal process but it seems that I am not given enough information to solve the problem. Please help to send me in the right direction! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you taken a look at the the first law? You know of the assumptions for the problem, I would also add to treat the air as an ideal gas.

I'm very new to thermo but I haven't seen this formula Q=T[S(2)-S(1)], unless the S's means Volumes, I write it as capital V's

but anyways.. not the point... for rigid tanks, isn't the volume constant so you can solve for Q then use Q to find the missing variables in Pv=nRT

the temperature will give you the pressure, and you would have to treat this as an ideal gas, you're given little v, and I think you can get R from Q, or by the chartes... so then you just have P?

I havn't covered rigid tanks yet, so I'm probably very wrong...

The S probably stands for entropy. He probably got the first equation from the 2nd law of themo, S2 - S1 = Q/Tb + sigma, where sigma will equal zero since it's a reversible process.

PV =nRT works, but i think PV = mRT is a better variation of the ideal gas for this problem.

I'm guessing the others assumption that KE and PE are negligble. Take a control volume and you can see what you need to do from there.

Last edited:
thank you...

Thanks for the help - I appreciate the responses...have returned to school after a LONG break and some of the basics are pretty hazy

I thought that a control volume would only be applied to fluids?

By the S's I was meaning entropy, didn't know how to show using subscripts.

Side question - I know that when you are given two properties of a fluid (such as temperature and pressure) that you should know what state they are in (superheated etc)...but how exactly is that determined?
And, iff you are given both temp and press which table should you be using?

if I do need to do a control volume - how exactly do i do that?

1. What is thermodynamics and heat transfer?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, and energy. Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another.

2. What are the three modes of heat transfer?

The three modes of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How does heat transfer affect the efficiency of a system?

Heat transfer can affect the efficiency of a system by increasing or decreasing the amount of energy lost or gained during the transfer process. In some cases, heat transfer can cause a decrease in efficiency due to energy loss, while in other cases it can improve efficiency by allowing for better temperature control.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. Heat can be transferred from one object to another, while temperature is a property of an object.

5. How do thermodynamics and heat transfer relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics and heat transfer play a crucial role in our everyday lives. From cooking food to regulating the temperature in our homes, heat transfer is constantly at work. Understanding these principles can also help us make more efficient use of energy and resources.