Magnitude of electric force

In summary: Additionally, the "northwest" diagonal should also use 2 in the denominator, since the distance squared between q1 and q3 is 2.
bastige

Homework Statement

Four point charges are placed at the four corners of a square. Each side of the square has a length L.
Find the magnitude of the electric force on q2 due to all three charges q1 , q2 , q3
and q4. Given L=1 and q= 1.38 μC. Answer in N

http://rs209gc2.rapidshare.com/files/101850597/81d74d53637084fd2c6b7bf5e75220df.jpg
Photo of problem ^

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://rs220l32.rapidshare.com/files/101852192/Snapshot_2008-03-23_19-17-38.jpg
Photo of work ^

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you give units of N and microcoulombs in your statement, you are presumably working in SI units. Right off, I'd say check your value for k: I believe it is off by three orders of magnitude... (In your statement, I think you want the net force on q2 from the other three charges, so you don't want to type 'q2' again...)

Also, watch your forces and components. For starters, what is the distance along the diagonal of the square? What is the force between the diagonally opposed charges?

Well the diagonal is also 1. K should = 8.99E9. I still get the wrong answer.

bastige said:
Well the diagonal is also 1. K should = 8.99E9. I still get the wrong answer.

If the side of a square is 1, how long is the diagonal?

A^2 + B^2 =c^2
1^2+1^2=c^2
2=c^2
1=c

Square root of 2 is 1?

Snazzy said:
Square root of 2 is 1?

hmm...good point, guess i shouldn't do this in my head. well, its 1.41421. Where Do i need to use it? I didn't have r in my final formula? where did i go wrong?

bastige said:
hmm...good point, guess i shouldn't do this in my head. well, its 1.41421. Where Do i need to use it? I didn't have r in my final formula? where did i go wrong?

The value for c you just calculate is what you will use in Coulomb's Law for the force between the diagonally opposite charges. Since the formula calls for r^2, you could use r^2 = 2 there.

dynamicsolo said:
The value for c you just calculate is what you will use in Coulomb's Law for the force between the diagonally opposite charges. Since the formula calls for r^2, you could use r^2 = 2 there.

?I'm sorry, I'm physics illiterate

You have the equation for the force

kqq/(r^2) , which is Coulomb's Law.

In the image you show for your work, the force for the "southeast" diagonal should be using 2 in the denominator, instead of 1, since the distance squared between the two charges q2 and q4 is 2 .

1. What is the magnitude of electric force?

The magnitude of electric force refers to the strength or intensity of the force between two charged particles or objects. It is measured in newtons (N) and is determined by the distance between the charges and the amount of charge each particle possesses.

2. How is the magnitude of electric force calculated?

The magnitude of electric force can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula for calculating electric force is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of electric force?

The magnitude of electric force is affected by two main factors: the amount of charge on the particles and the distance between them. The greater the charge on the particles, the stronger the force will be. Similarly, the closer the particles are to each other, the stronger the force will be. The type of material the particles are in can also affect the magnitude of electric force.

4. How does the magnitude of electric force relate to electric fields?

The magnitude of electric force is directly related to electric fields. Electric fields are regions in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. The direction and strength of the electric field determine the direction and magnitude of the electric force on a charged particle within that field. In fact, the magnitude of electric force can be calculated using the formula F = qE, where q is the charge of the particle and E is the electric field strength.

5. Can the magnitude of electric force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of electric force can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction to the direction of the force calculated using Coulomb's law. A negative electric force can occur when the charges on the particles are opposite in sign, causing an attractive force rather than a repulsive force. However, the magnitude of the force will still be positive, as it represents the strength of the force regardless of direction.