Laplace transform into partial fractions, then I'm stuck

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a complex equation using the FOIL method and how to correctly simplify the bottom line of the equation. The correct approach involves multiplying the top and bottom by the complex conjugate of the denominator, rather than using the FOIL method. It is also advised to avoid working with complex numbers as much as possible to reduce the chance of making mistakes.
_Greg_

Homework Statement

It's hard to explain, I can do everything exept get the answer to what I'v pointed out below.
I just don't know what order to solve it into get the correct answer, I must have tried every method except the right one!

Homework Equations

problem.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

I'v tried lots of things but I'm obviously doing it completely wrong.

Thanks for looking

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{8}{9(-0.5 + 0.441i)(2*0.441i)}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{8}{-3.50066 -3.969 i}[/tex]

Now you can multiply the top and bottom by -3.50066 + 3.969i ( which is the complex conjugate of the denominator) . When you simpify you will arrive at the answer.

How did you simplify the bottom line down to -3.50066 - 3.969i ?
What do you do with the 9? I find it confusing because its (...+...)(...x...) not ++ or xx
My basic maths has left me lol.
Thanks

_Greg_ said:
How did you simplify the bottom line down to -3.50066 - 3.969i ?
What do you do with the 9? I find it confusing because its (...+...)(...x...) not ++ or xx
My basic maths has left me lol.
Thanks

I multiplied the complex numbers out .

9(a +bi) = 9a + 9bi

(a+bi)(c+di) = a*c + (a*d)i + (b*c)i - b*d
(2*ai) = (2*a)i

(*) denotes multiplication.

I kinda get you, see if this is right:

-----------------------
9(-0.5+0.441i)(2*0.441i)

-----------------------
(-4.5+3.969i)(2*0.441i)

-------------------------
-8 -1.9845i + 7.938i +1.75i

---------------
-8 + 7.7035i

which equals! -1 + 1.038

is that more or less correct do you think?

No, it's not correct. How did you go from
_Greg_ said:
(-4.5+3.969i)(2*0.441i)
to
-8 -1.9845i + 7.938i +1.75i
?

-4.5 * 2 = -8
-4.5 * 0.441i = 1.9845i
3.969i * 2 = 7.938i
3.969i * 0.441i = 1.75i

just used that 'foil' method

You can't FOIL because the second factor isn't a sum. Also, 4.5*2 isn't 8; it's 9.

Just out of curiosity, what's the goal of this problem? To find y(t)? I just ask because I find the method used kind of questionable.

oh yea, woops

The question is:

obtain the process response Y(t) as deviation from its initial steady state condition y(0). Use Laplace transforms and expansion by partial fractions. Assume a unit step forcing function x(t) = u(t)

The initial equation is 9y''(t) + 9y'(t) +4y(t) = 8x(t) - 4

OK, the solutions you have took a less-than-ideal approach. It'll work, but it relies on working with complex numbers more than is necessary. When you work with factors of i, it greatly increases your chance of making sign mistakes, so if you can avoid working with them, it's usually for the best. Also, the solutions evaluated the roots numerically too early. it's usually not a good idea to evaluate numerical expressions midway through the problem because you end up with decimals, like 3.969, that you have to copy from line to line and sometimes you drop a digit or transpose two of them, etc. It's just asking to make a mistake. Plus, like any time you plug numbers in too early, it obscures possible cancellations down the road.

Anyway, back to your problem... You made one other mistake. You did something like

[tex]\frac{a}{x+iy} \rightarrow \frac{a}{x}+i\frac{a}{y}[/tex]

which isn't correct. What you need to do is multiply the top and bottom by the complex conjugate of the denominator, so you get

[tex]\frac{a}{x+iy} = \frac{a}{x+iy}\times\frac{x-iy}{x-iy} = \frac{a(x-iy)}{x^2+y^2} = \frac{ax}{x^2+y^2} - i\frac{ay}{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations.

2. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a way of breaking down a rational function into simpler fractions. This allows for easier integration and manipulation of the function.

3. How do I find the partial fraction decomposition of a Laplace transform?

To find the partial fraction decomposition of a Laplace transform, you must first factor the denominator of the transform into linear or quadratic terms. Then, you can use the method of partial fractions to write the transform as a sum of simpler fractions.

4. What is the benefit of using partial fractions in Laplace transforms?

Using partial fractions makes it easier to perform algebraic operations on the transformed function. It also allows for easier identification of the inverse Laplace transform.

5. What do I do if I get stuck when trying to convert a Laplace transform into partial fractions?

If you get stuck during the conversion process, it may be helpful to review the steps and make sure you have correctly factored the denominator. You can also consult a textbook or online resources for examples and further explanations.