Have any of you ever had a man-crush?

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation discusses the concept of man-crushes. Everyone has them, and they're usually based on admiration for someone's qualities. Some people have had a girl-crush in the past, and some people have a man-crush on a particular professor. Everyone has something valuable to say in this conversation, and it's stimulating to read.
Dembadon
Gold Member
I have one on my Linear Algebra professor. And just for clarity, here's how I'm defining it so this doesn't get weird:
urbandictionary said:
When a straight man has a "crush" on another man, not sexual but kind of idolizing him.

I haven't met very many brilliant mathematicians who are funny, socially appropriate, relatable, excellent teachers, have excellent board organization, socially perceptive, ... the list goes on.

Have any of you had a man-crush before?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dembadon said:
I have one on my Linear Algebra professor. And just for clarity, here's how I'm defining it so this doesn't get weird:

I haven't met very many brilliant mathematicians who are funny, socially appropriate, relatable, excellent teachers, have excellent board organization, socially perceptive, ... the list goes on.

Have any of you had a man-crush before?

I have plenty of man crushes:

- Dave from PF
- My Chem prof
- Substitute Bio prof
- Arsene Wenger
- English teacher from h.s.

too many to list

I don't "idolize" anyone, but I highly admire twofish-quant: his advice is always pleasant to read.

I think everyone here though has something of value to say in some way: I've found the depth of topics and conversations on here to be rather high.

chiro said:
I've found the depth of topics and conversations on here to be rather high.

Thanks. My posts stir intellectually stimulating discussions.

That super smart guy on Criminal Minds.

It's true.

I can't say that I have. I have yet to find anyone I "idolize".

I have man-crushes all the time! but I am not a man... lol.
Yeah I think it is normal to look up to people you admire to the extent of wanting to be like them and be them and be with them. I had a girl-crush in high school. there was this one girl who I thought was AMAZING! and I wanted to be her friend so much but it was difficult cos we had nothing in common and had different groups of friends who didnt mix. But anyway, it made me question my sexuality nevertheless! But it was just cos I wanted to be her so much, not that I found her romantically attractive.

Likes fireflies
Dammit! I still want to be her friend! its going to be one of those ' the girl you never had but dream about all your life and imagine how amazing your life would have been if you had been together and keep it all a secret until you let it out on your deathbed ' kind of thing.

nucleargirl said:
Dammit! I still want to be her friend! its going to be one of those ' the girl you never had but dream about all your life and imagine how amazing your life would have been if you had been together and keep it all a secret until you let it out on your deathbed ' kind of thing.

Yeah. I know what you mean. I always wanted to meat the pop-o-matic girl from the TV ad.
Race your men around the track, try to send the others back, look out sis here comes Jack, Pop the 6 and he moves back. Its pop-o-matic.
But I never became a TV star. so sad.

Pengwuino said:
That super smart guy on Criminal Minds.

It's true.

Are you talking about the character "Spencer Reid"?

MacGyver. :!)

macgyver2.jpg

nucleargirl said:
...until you let it out on your deathbed ' kind of thing.
...or a public forum on the internet in front a quarter million people... :wink:

so dreamy.. no homo

Cristiano-Ronaldo-5.jpg

DaveC426913 said:
...or a public forum on the internet in front a quarter million people... :wink:

Dave! You made a typo in front of a quarter million people! What will they think!

I have a SERIOUS man crush on Prof. Brian Cox.

briancox.jpg

Greg House.

I kinda fancy James Maslow and Beau Mirchoff.

zoobyshoe said:
Are you talking about the character "Spencer Reid"?

What a hottie :!)

A professor I had in an intro to Control Engineering.

This man breaths math and circuits! He talks so fast and so precise, I think he reaches the theoretical limit of how much information a human can convey to another!

Hey Nucleargirl, I think there is something in what you said about admiring stuff in other people and that can cause a crush.

I had a crush on a man and thinking about it, I admired him for what he knew in the subject area that I also find fascinating. I think back to the boyfriends I had that I really fell in love with and they all had a passion for some of the subjects that I too find fascinating (Music, Geology, Physics and Astronomy).

Not really
But Paul Erdos, Evariste Galois and Oliver Heaviside were pretty badass guys

1. What is a man-crush?

A man-crush is a feeling of admiration and infatuation that a heterosexual man has towards another man. It is often described as a platonic crush, where a man is drawn to another man's personality, appearance, or talents.

2. Is a man-crush the same as being gay?

No, a man-crush is not the same as being gay. A man-crush is a feeling of admiration and infatuation, while being gay refers to one's sexual orientation. A man can have a man-crush without being attracted to men in a romantic or sexual way.

3. How do you know if you have a man-crush?

A man-crush is typically characterized by feelings of admiration, respect, and a desire to emulate or be closer to the person. If you find yourself constantly thinking about or wanting to spend time with another man, it could be a sign of a man-crush.

4. Is it normal to have a man-crush?

Yes, it is normal to have a man-crush. Many men have experienced feelings of admiration and infatuation towards another man at some point in their lives. It is a natural human emotion and does not necessarily mean anything about one's sexual orientation.

5. Can a man-crush turn into something more?

While it is possible for a man-crush to develop into a romantic or sexual attraction, it is not always the case. Many man-crushes remain platonic and do not progress into anything more. It ultimately depends on the individuals involved and their feelings towards each other.