Base changing for transcendental numbers

In summary: The only exception is irrational numbers which cannot be represented by a finite sequence of digits. In summary, if you have a transcendental number x, and you want to convert it into a terminating decimal, you would need to use a base other than 10.
Stress2Death
Hi All,
This might be a silly question but can anyone tell me with certainty if it is possible to convert a transcendental number into a terminating decimal by base changing?

If that is possible that is insanely awesome.

[edit] Sorry that was completely not what I was wondering. I meant this:

Does an integer based number system exist, wherein some transcendental number when converted into this number system is a finite number.

I think I worded it ok that time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, decimal means base 10. You can't take a transcendental number written in base 10, and change to base 10, and expect the expression to be different. (This is not correct for all real numbers. But you only asked for transcendental.)

If you are asking "given a transcendental number x, does there exist a base, so that x can be written finitely in that base?" Then the answer is yes: base x. For example the golden ratio is "10" in base phinary.

Edit: I just realized that phi is not transcendental. But the idea is the same.

Last edited:
In other words, given any transcendental number, x, we can write x in the number system having base x, as "10".

Hi Folks & thanks for responding. I think I should have been more explicit in my question though. I'm going to go back and change it. I meant for the base to be an integer.

As far as me calling it a decimal... yeah that was pretty stupid.

like how [itex] 2^{\aleph_0}=10^{\aleph_0} [/itex] which equals [itex] \aleph_1 [/itex]
is that what you mean.
edit: I confused transcedental with transfinite. but I still think you could change the base.

Stress2Death said:
Hi Folks & thanks for responding. I think I should have been more explicit in my question though. I'm going to go back and change it. I meant for the base to be an integer.

As far as me calling it a decimal... yeah that was pretty stupid.

Change of base from one integer to another integer will not change the nature of a real number. Transcendental will stay transcendental, algebraic will stay algebraic, and rational will stay rational.
The only thing noticeable is that the decimal expression of rational numbers will terminate in some bases, but not in others. Example: 1/3 = .3333... in decimal, = .1 in base 3.

Last edited:
Stress2Death said:
Hi All,
This might be a silly question but can anyone tell me with certainty if it is possible to convert a transcendental number into a terminating decimal by base changing?

If that is possible that is insanely awesome.

[edit] Sorry that was completely not what I was wondering. I meant this:

Does an integer based number system exist, wherein some transcendental number when converted into this number system is a finite number.

I think I worded it ok that time.

All numbers are finite. Any repeating pattern of digits no matter what the base will give you a rational number.

What is base changing for transcendental numbers?

Base changing for transcendental numbers is the process of converting a number from one base to another, where the number is not a rational number and cannot be expressed as a finite decimal. This process is commonly used in computer programming and mathematics.

What are some examples of transcendental numbers?

Some examples of transcendental numbers include pi (π), e, and the golden ratio (φ). These numbers cannot be expressed as a finite decimal and have infinite non-repeating decimal representations.

Why is base changing important for transcendental numbers?

Base changing is important for transcendental numbers because it allows us to work with these numbers in different bases and perform calculations that may not be possible in their original base. It also helps us to better understand the properties and patterns of these numbers.

How do you change the base of a transcendental number?

To change the base of a transcendental number, you can use the same methods as changing the base of a rational number. This includes converting the number to a rational approximation and then applying the base conversion formula, or using logarithms to convert the number to a different base.

Can all transcendental numbers be changed to different bases?

No, not all transcendental numbers can be changed to different bases. Some transcendental numbers, such as the Liouville constant, cannot be expressed in any base and have no repeating patterns. However, most transcendental numbers can be changed to different bases using the methods mentioned above.