Tags: interesting, number, theory, tidbit
Share this thread:
Mathguy15
Jun26-12, 04:44 PM
P: 63
Hello,

I was browsing a set of number theory problems, and I came across this one:

"Prove that the equation a2+b2=c2+3 has infinitely many solutions in integers."

Now, I found out that c must be odd and a and b must be even. So, for some integer n, c=2n+1, so c2+3=4n2+4n+4=4[n2+n+1]. If n is of the form k2-1, then the triple of integers{2n,2[itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex],2n+1]} satisfies the equation. Since there are infinitely such n, the equation holds for integers infinitely often.

I thought this was cool.

Mathguy
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
haruspex
Jun27-12, 02:52 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,645
Looks like the same approach could be used for many constants. So the question becomes, for what k does a2+b2=c2+k have infinitely many solutions?
micromass
Jun27-12, 02:52 AM
Mentor
P: 18,038
That is cool!!! Nice find!!

A no-brainer as follow-up question is of course: are these all the solutions?? I don't know the answer myself, but it's interesting to find out.

Millennial
Jun27-12, 03:22 AM
P: 295
Another interesting number theory tidbit

Quote Quote by micromass View Post

A no-brainer as follow-up question is of course: are these all the solutions?? I don't know the answer myself, but it's interesting to find out.
That is an interesting question.

The case when k=0 has infinitely many solutions of which are all of the form [itex]a=d(p^2-q^2)[/itex], [itex]b=2dpq[/itex], [itex]c=d(p^2+q^2)[/itex] for integer p,q and an arbitrary constant d. The case k=3 makes the right hand side the square of 2n+2 when c=2n+1, and hence the case k=0 implies the case k=3. Applying the case when k=0 that I specified above, I obtain that [itex]a=d(p^2-q^2)[/itex], [itex]b=2dpq[/itex], [itex]c=d(p^2+q^2)-1[/itex], which are, I believe, all of the solutions. However, note that if a particular selection of p and q yields c as even, then this will not hold. In particular, we need the above specified condition that [itex]n=k^2-1[/itex], so [itex]c=2k^2-1[/itex].
Mathguy15
Jun27-12, 09:20 AM
Quote Quote by haruspex View Post
Looks like the same approach could be used for many constants. So the question becomes, for what k does a2+b2=c2+k have infinitely many solutions?
Hm, I realize my approach works for k congruent to 3(mod4), but beyond that, I don't know.
Mathguy15
Jun27-12, 09:22 AM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post

Haha, Thanks! I'm inclined to say that these are all the solutions, but I do not know. By the way, I could write the solutions in terms of k rather than n to make it neater. (i.e., if k is an integer, then, {2k2-2,2k,2k2-1} is an integer solution to the equation)
haruspex
Jun27-12, 05:55 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,645
Quote Quote by Mathguy15 View Post
Hm, I realize my approach works for k congruent to 3(mod4), but beyond that, I don't know.
Choose any t > 0.
a = k + 2t + 1 (so a and k have opposite parity)
b = (a2 - k - 1)/2
c = b + 1
c2 - b2 = 2b+1 = a2 - k
Mathguy15
Jun27-12, 07:40 PM
Quote Quote by haruspex View Post
Choose any t > 0.
a = k + 2t + 1 (so a and k have opposite parity)
b = (a2 - k - 1)/2
c = b + 1
c2 - b2 = 2b+1 = a2 - k
Brilliant!

Register to reply