Better explanation for why electrons in filled bands don't conduct?

In summary, the book talks about how the electrons in a band stay in that band, and how the phase space has a constant density through time. It also says that if you calculate the electric and energy current densities, you sum over the Brillouin zone, and each of these currents somehow come out to zero. However, the book doesn't give a very intuitive explanation as to why the valence electrons don't conduct.
VortexLattice
My book talks about it, but doesn't give a very intuitive reason why. It essentially says that from a modified version of Liouville's Theorem, the electrons in a band stay in that band. Then it says the phase space (position-wavevector phase space) has a constant density through time, and if that's the case, when you calculate the electric and energy current densities, you sum over the Brillouin zone, and each of these currents somehow come out to zero.

I believe them well enough I guess, but I'm looking for a more intuitive explanation. Can anyone direct me to one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Another point is that electrons nearer to the top of a band than to the bottom are accelerated in the opposite direction than one would expect as they have a negative effective mass. The reason is that increasing an electrons crystal momentum will lead to stronger Bragg reflection from the lattice thus rather decreasing its average velocity. Hence filling up electronic state near the upper band edge will reduce current.

Hmmm, but that doesn't explain why the valence ones don't conduct, right?

There must be some more intuitive reason. I trust the math but it doesn't convince me fully.

Btw, the statement is not strictly correct. An applied field will ramp up the bands and electons can tunnel from the valence to the conduction band. At high field strength this can be observed, at lower strengths it is an exponentially small effect. Another way of viewing this is to consider time dependent fields which can be expressed in terms of a vector potential A=-E/ω sin(ωt) for ω not too large (i.e. ω should be smaller than the band gap). If this is the case, in the adiabatic approximation, the vector potential cannot induce transitions between different bands.
A mixing of the states within one band will not change the expectation value of the current operator if the band is fully occupied.

When you solve for the bloch states of an electron in a periodic potential, and periodic boundary conditions, you get states with momentum in particular directions. If you want a net current of electrons, you need a net momentum of electrons in the direction of the current. When you apply an electric field, it lowers the energy of states with a particular momentum direction. As the occupancy of such states increases, there is an unbalanced momentum distribution for the electrons, and hence a net current. BUT, there has to be unfilled states for the electrons to shift into in order for such an imbalance to develop. In filled bands, everything is filled up already, so the total momentum of electrons is always zero. There's no empty states to shift into.

If you pack a box half full of tennis balls, and turn it on an angle, they'll roll towards the lower side, but if you pack it completely full, they won't move around at all.

OhYoungLions said:
When you solve for the bloch states of an electron in a periodic potential, and periodic boundary conditions, you get states with momentum in particular directions. If you want a net current of electrons, you need a net momentum of electrons in the direction of the current. When you apply an electric field, it lowers the energy of states with a particular momentum direction. As the occupancy of such states increases, there is an unbalanced momentum distribution for the electrons, and hence a net current. BUT, there has to be unfilled states for the electrons to shift into in order for such an imbalance to develop. In filled bands, everything is filled up already, so the total momentum of electrons is always zero. There's no empty states to shift into.

If you pack a box half full of tennis balls, and turn it on an angle, they'll roll towards the lower side, but if you pack it completely full, they won't move around at all.

Thanks, this is basically what I was looking for. I need to mull this over for a while, though...

1. Why don't electrons in filled bands conduct?

Electrons in filled bands do not conduct because they are already at their lowest energy level and cannot move freely through the material. In order for electrons to conduct electricity, they must have the ability to move from one energy level to another, which is not possible in a filled band.

2. What causes electrons to fill bands?

Electrons fill bands based on the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers. As a material is filled with more and more electrons, they will fill the available energy levels from the lowest to the highest, eventually filling the bands.

3. Can electrons in filled bands conduct under certain conditions?

In some materials, such as semiconductors, electrons in filled bands can conduct under certain conditions. This can occur when the material is subjected to high temperatures or when external forces, such as an applied electric field, cause the electrons to gain enough energy to move to a higher energy level and become free to conduct electricity.

4. How do filled bands affect the conductivity of a material?

The presence of filled bands in a material can greatly affect its conductivity. Materials with completely filled bands, such as insulators, have very low conductivity because there are no free electrons available to conduct electricity. On the other hand, materials with partially filled bands, such as metals, have high conductivity because the partially filled bands allow for easy movement of electrons.

5. Is there a way to manipulate filled bands to increase conductivity?

Some materials, such as semiconductors, can have their conductivity increased by manipulating their filled bands. This can be done through processes like doping, where impurities are intentionally added to the material to create extra energy levels for the electrons to move to. Another method is by applying an external electric field, which can cause the electrons to jump to higher energy levels and become free to conduct electricity.