Ligands and lowering reduction potential

In summary, the anionic charge of the ligand stabilizes the positive charge of the metal cations, making them better reductants. This is further enhanced when the ligand binds with a high coordination number, resulting in a negative charge for the entire complex and making it even better at donating electrons. This effect can be seen in Cytochrome p450.
Chickenpoxpie
Hi I have a question I was wondering if y'all could clear up. Let's say I have two metal cations, Iron (III) and Manganese (II). Will binding them to an anionic ligand lower their reduction potentials (making each a better redundant) and if so why?

Is it because the anionic charge of the ligand stabilizes the positive charge of the metals?

What if the ligand binds with a high coordination number (say 5 or 6). Will that further reduce the reduction potential because now the entire complex has a negative charge and is better able to donate electrons (ie good reluctant)?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Basically it is about the concentration of the free metal. You can safely assume what is happening is that it is free metal that reacts, and ligands just change its concentration. Once you know the concentration, it is just a matter of applying Nernst equation.

Chickenpoxpie said:
Hi I have a question I was wondering if y'all could clear up. Let's say I have two metal cations, Iron (III) and Manganese (II). Will binding them to an anionic ligand lower their reduction potentials (making each a better redundant) and if so why?

Is it because the anionic charge of the ligand stabilizes the positive charge of the metals?

What if the ligand binds with a high coordination number (say 5 or 6). Will that further reduce the reduction potential because now the entire complex has a negative charge and is better able to donate electrons (ie good reluctant)?

Yes, that's exactly how it works. Read up on Cytochrome p450 and you will see this effect in action.

1. What is a ligand in chemistry?

A ligand is a molecule or ion that binds to a central metal atom or ion to form a complex. It can be either neutral or negatively charged, and it usually has at least one lone pair of electrons that can form a coordinate bond with the metal atom.

2. How do ligands affect the reduction potential of a complex?

The type and number of ligands attached to a metal atom in a complex can greatly influence its reduction potential. Ligands with strong electron-withdrawing groups can decrease the reduction potential, while ligands with strong electron-donating groups can increase it.

3. Can ligands alter the stability of a complex?

Yes, the presence of ligands can greatly affect the stability of a complex. Strong ligands that form stable bonds with the metal ion can increase the stability of the complex, while weak ligands may lead to the dissociation of the complex.

4. How can ligands be used to control the redox reactions of a complex?

By selecting the appropriate ligand, the redox reactions of a complex can be controlled. Strong ligands can stabilize the complex and prevent it from undergoing redox reactions, while weaker ligands may allow for redox reactions to occur.

5. What are some examples of ligands that can lower the reduction potential of a complex?

Amines, nitro groups, halides, and phosphines are all examples of ligands that can lower the reduction potential of a complex. These ligands have strong electron-withdrawing groups that can stabilize the complex and decrease its reduction potential.