Earth & Time: Static Earth & Measurable Time?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of time and how it can still be measured even if the Earth was completely static. Various means, such as pendulums, radioactive materials, and the position of the sun or moon, were mentioned as ways to measure time. The discussion also touched on the origin of time and how it is not absolute or eternal. Finally, the conversation shifted to a scientific experiment involving the speed distribution of molecules in a gas.
hauk2008
Question that's been boggling my mind all day lol.. If the Earth was completely static (Not spinning around its poles, the sun, the galactic center, or moving away from the center of the universe) would time still be measurable?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does one have to do with the other?

Sure. Mickey's big hand would still be on the twelve and his little hand would still be on the three. The operation of a mechanical watch doesn't depend on any of this.

hauk2008 said:
Question that's been boggling my mind all day lol.. If the Earth was completely static (Not spinning around its poles, the sun, the galactic center, or moving away from the center of the universe) would time still be measurable?

Yes, through any number of means. Pendulums will still swing, radioactive materials will still decay at a predictable rate, sand will still flow through hourglasses, ...

Hmm... fair enough. I guess I was thinking about the passage of time in the wrong way. I'm still confused about how the concept of time would be realized if there was no set pattern to observe. Like if I didn't have a watch, or some other repeatable event that could be tested. I feel like I'm not using the correct words for this lol...

Anyone have a basic example of how time can be explained? I'm no physicist, but have a pretty good understanding on the general stuff.

hauk2008 said:
Hmm... fair enough. I guess I was thinking about the passage of time in the wrong way. I'm still confused about how the concept of time would be realized if there was no set pattern to observe. Like if I didn't have a watch, or some other repeatable event that could be tested. I feel like I'm not using the correct words for this lol...

Anyone have a basic example of how time can be explained? I'm no physicist, but have a pretty good understanding on the general stuff.

From wikipedia: Some simple, relatively uncontroversial definitions of time include "time is what clocks measure" and "time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

I think you are asking whether time is absolute/eternal i.e. it existed forever, regardless of existence of matter (earth/galaxies/observer). No, it is not. Space and time were born around 13.5 billions years ago at event called as big bang. Clocks run (time flows) slowly near gravity well or if clock is in motion w.r.t. observer.

hauk2008 said:
(Not spinning around its poles, the sun, the galactic center, or moving away from the center of the universe)
There is no center of the universe. And there is no absolute velocity.

If you magically stop everything on earth, all clocks on Earth will fail (as they are stopped). You could still measure time somewhere else.

Clock is not the only mean to measure time, we could measurethe time by the motion of sun. Time is the interval between two events, we could measure time by the length of suration between two events.

rashi said:
Clock is not the only mean to measure time, we could measurethe time by the motion of sun. Time is the interval between two events, we could measure time by the length of suration between two events.

That just begs the question doesn't it? How do you measure the length of the duration between two events?

By the size of the moon, by the positon of the sun etc...

There wouldn't be measurable motion of the sun. Concept of time would probably be tied to a moon motion.

xAxis said:
There wouldn't be measurable motion of the sun. Concept of time would probably be tied to a moon motion.

Even if the moons did not move, time would still be reckoned.

For instance:

http://chestofbooks.com/travel/holland/John-Stoddard-Lectures/Holland-Part-3.html

"Water Barges.

The Hollanders are inveterate smokers. The boatmen, it is said, measure distances by smoke and reckon, not so many miles from place to place, but so many pipes."

xAxis said:

Believe me in some culture people still using position of shadow caused by Sun. This is the most common practice t predcit the paryer time. you may be aware of the fasting month, there is sun can be used as time clock.

rashi said:
Believe me in some culture people still using position of shadow caused by Sun. This is the most common practice t predcit the paryer time. you may be aware of the fasting month, there is sun can be used as time clock.

Absolutely true but utterly irrelevant to the original question, under the conditions of which the sun could NOT be used as a clock, nor could any such movements because they are specifically stated in the question as being static. THEN how do you measure time? The question has been answered, but I think you have misunderstood it.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a "nothing that moves anywhere" clock... Start with equal-sized samples of two different radioactive materials with different half-lives. The ratio of their amounts will change in a predictable way as time passes.

Ok, Guys I received two warning messages becuase I posted my own Opinion. I shall respect the rules of the forum and will not put my personal opinion any more!

Figure 1 shows a type of apparatus for investigating the speed distribution f (v) of molecules in a gas. Molecules emerge into a vacuum chamber from an oven held at a constant temperature T, and are collimated by slits into a parallel beam directed towards a pair of discs rotating at a common angular speed ?, which may be varied. The discs are a fixed distance L apart (L = 262 mm) and contain narrow notches, with the second notch offset from the first by a fixed angle ? = 30° as shown. If a molecule is moving at the correct speed v, it will pass through the notches in both discs to be collected at the detector, which records the rate of arrival of molecules. detector .
(a) The oven contains aluminium at 9.00 × 102 °C, which emerges as a monatomic beam. Calculate the speed vmp and the corresponding rotation speed ? at which the largest rate of arrival for aluminium atoms is observed. (The molar mass of aluminium is 0.0270 kg mol?1.)

I want to post this question in My PF but can not find the option.

Steps I follwed to sole is these thwo formula
1) Square V= 3 RT/2M, can you please tell em if i am using the right formula and how this can be derived?

Nugatory said:
If you're looking for a "nothing that moves anywhere" clock... Start with equal-sized samples of two different radioactive materials with different half-lives. The ratio of their amounts will change in a predictable way as time passes.
There would be allways something that moves otherwise you could not observe.

1. What is the static Earth theory?

The static Earth theory proposes that the Earth has remained unchanged in shape, size, and orientation throughout its entire history. This theory suggests that the continents and oceans have always been in their current positions.

2. How is time measured on Earth?

Time on Earth is typically measured using a system called the Gregorian calendar, which is based on the Earth's rotation around the sun. This system divides time into years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds.

3. What evidence supports the static Earth theory?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the static Earth theory is the fossil record, which shows that the same species of plants and animals have existed on Earth for millions of years. Additionally, the shape of the continents and the patterns of rock formations also support the idea of a static Earth.

4. How does the Earth's rotation affect time?

The Earth's rotation on its axis is what creates the concept of day and night. This rotation also causes the Earth's equator to bulge slightly, which affects how gravity is distributed on the planet. This, in turn, affects the measurement of time using atomic clocks.

5. Can time on Earth ever be truly static?

While the static Earth theory suggests that the Earth has always remained unchanged, the reality is that our planet is constantly undergoing geological and environmental changes. These changes may be minor in the grand scheme of things, but they do affect the Earth's shape and orientation, making it impossible for time on Earth to be truly static.