Summer 2013 Math and Science REU Thread

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of applying for REU programs, with participants sharing the programs they are applying to and discussing the possibility of grouping together related subjects in one thread. They also discuss their experiences with the application process and ask questions about recommendations and whether being an older student may be considered an underrepresented group. Participants also share their acceptance and rejection from programs, and discuss the workload and the potential of taking online courses while participating in an REU.
Stengah
Hey Everyone,

Just like in years past we should have a thread where we post what REU programs we are applying for and when we get accepted so we know when to expect decisions and stuff. Also feel free to discuss projects and ask questions so we can all help each other out.

I thought we could do things differently this year and put Math and Physics and related subjects all in one thread since the application process is the same and some people apply to multiple fields. And I like reading both threads. But it doesn't really matter too much.

See last year's threads for example:
Physics - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=573752
Math - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=576725

So have at it!

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I will start...

I'm applying to mostly astronomy programs with an emphasis on computational astrophysics

Northern Arizona University
NC State
UNC Chapel Hill
Wisconsin
SAO
Vanderbilt
Wyoming
Maria Mitchell Observatory
Baylor

I'm not applying for any REU's this summer since I'm graduating, but I've learned that Rutgers is starting an REU program this year, and only put their application online this week, with a due date of February 22nd. Might be good to check out for those who thought they were too late to start looking into REUs...

http://reu.physics.rutgers.edu/

I'm applying to programs related to optics, photonics, imaging, and optical materials.

CIAN - Integrated Optics
Hooked on Photonics
University of Colorado at Boulder
Liquid Crystal Materials Research Center
University of Rochester
Rochester Institute of Technology
Lehigh University
University of Nebraska
University of New Mexico
University of Maryland at College Park
University of Texas at Brownsville

Last edited:
Mmm_Pasta said:
I'm applying to programs related to optics, photonics, imaging, and optical materials.

CIAN - Integrated Optics
Hooked on Photonics

I did Hooked on Photonics last year at GT, it was a lot fun! I'm also applying to CIAN this year.

I'll probably update this post later with everywhere I'm applying to.

I have/will be applying to (observational Astronomy):

Kit Peak
SARA
SROP
McDonald (UT-Austin)
Maria Mitchell
Univ of Oklahoma
Univ of Wyoming
Baylor
North Carolina State
TCU

Does anyone have any experience applying to REUs as an older student? (I'm 30)

I put in my application at:

Boulder
Texas at Brownsville
Baylor
Indiana
UC Davis
Univ. of Nebraska
LSU
Idaho State
Notre Dame

In reply to mege, I'm 25, but this is the first time I've applied for anything like this, so unfortunately I don't have anything to share but encouragement. Best of luck, everyone.

School: unknown state university
Major: mathematics and spanish (don't hate)
GPA: 3.8
Research: very little

Accepted to University of Michigan SROP program (nuclear engineering)
:bugeye: Yes! It was my top choice!
Penn State TWFP nuclear engineering- applied, but did not finish application (didn't care after UM acceptance)
Idaho State University physics/nuclear engineering - applied
University of Utah materials science engineering - applied
University of Arkansas planetary science/astronomy - applied
Louisiana State University astronomy/physics - applied
University of Michigan CERN REU - rejected (they said they had 250 applicants for 14 spots)
George Mason University mathematics - applied
Central Michigan University Mathematics - applied
Vanderbilt University physics - applied (don't think i finished the app though)

also could we sticky this thread?

Hercuflea said:

Accepted to University of Michigan SROP program (nuclear engineering)
:bugeye: Yes! It was my top choice!

Congrats. In response to your question, most REU programs require 40 hours of work per week. But sometimes you have to work more to get stuff done. In general I don't think the program would be too happy about you taking an online course, especially an intensive one like abstract algebra. I remember a few program websites actually saying they forbid it. So I would ask them if I were you.

Oh wow. I did a google search on REUs in physicsforums and it pointed me right to this current thread. Wonderful.

I'm applying to the following for math:

Bard College - http://math.bard.edu/reu/
Mt. Holyoke https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/math/reu
St. Mary's College of Maryland http://www.smcm.edu/mathcs/reu.html [Broken]
Grand Valley State University http://www.gvsu.edu/mathreu/how-to-apply-9.htm
San Diego State University http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/math-reu/apply.html

I have a question I feel is a little bit silly. Do "returning adults" represent an "underrepresented group?" I can certainly emphasize my work experience and such as a plus, but I'm not sure if 'somewhat older guy' is the kind of diversity they are looking for or not.

-Dave K

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading through this thread I'm wondering if 5 is enough... The thing is I've noticed that the procedure for recommendations is different for each, and I don't want to create too much work for my professors.

Last edited:
dkotschessaa said:
Reading through this thread I'm wondering if 5 is enough... The thing is I've noticed that the procedure for recommendations is different for each, and I don't want to create too much work for my professors.

What I did was put all of the links to the exact webpages/emails where they would submit the letters in a Word document, and then put an additional instructions page on there. My recommenders wrote the letter, but they had me do the details of tailoring them for each individual school.

dkotschessaa said:
Oh wow. I did a google search on REUs in physicsforums and it pointed me right to this current thread. Wonderful.

I'm applying to the following for math:

Bard College - http://math.bard.edu/reu/
Mt. Holyoke https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/math/reu
St. Mary's College of Maryland http://www.smcm.edu/mathcs/reu.html [Broken]
Grand Valley State University http://www.gvsu.edu/mathreu/how-to-apply-9.htm
San Diego State University http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/math-reu/apply.html

I have a question I feel is a little bit silly. Do "returning adults" represent an "underrepresented group?" I can certainly emphasize my work experience and such as a plus, but I'm not sure if 'somewhat older guy' is the kind of diversity they are looking for or not.

-Dave K

I applied to GVSU too for the wavelet program. Almost applied to SDSU.

Got all my applications in. Now the waiting game...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hercuflea said:
Accepted to University of Michigan SROP program (nuclear engineering) :bugeye: Yes! It was my top choice!

Congratulations! Ann Arbor is a nice place to spend the summer, even if you have to work, unless of course you want to do stuff like mountain climbing or surfing on weekends.

I was into bicycle touring myself, while I was in grad school there. Heading generally west and south, you hit open countryside pretty quickly. The local bike club is very active.

mege said:
Does anyone have any experience applying to REUs as an older student? (I'm 30)

I'm even older (how I tire of saying that!) by six years. I look about 25 so most people don't realize...

I am increasingly convinced that returning adults and older students in general represent an "underrepresented group" even if they are not part of some other minority, and that this might actually be helpful, rather than harmful. We tend to have work ethics and experience, maturity, charm, good looks... Oh sorry I was mostly talking about me. But you get the idea.

-Dave K

Edit to add: I created a thread to propose this question:
Do adults in school constitute an "underrepresented group?"

Last edited:
School: an unknown state university
Major: physics
GPA: 3.99
Research: 1 REU, 2 semesters of research with a professor at my school

Applied:
Vanderbilt University Physics

Probably should apply to a few more...

Has anyone applied and heard back from REMRSEC yet?

myranaira said:
Has anyone applied and heard back from REMRSEC yet?

I've applied, haven't heard anything, though the materials only got in on Thursday.

How long does it usually take for REU acceptances to come through? Or rejections...

Holy crap. I already got accepted to a math REU I probably shouldn't have gotten into. :O

lasymphonie said:
How long does it usually take for REU acceptances to come through? Or rejections...

Physics can come in any time, but typically about a month after the due date, maybe a little less. Astronomy REU programs can't accept anyone before March 1st.

Stengah said:
Physics can come in any time, but typically about a month after the due date, maybe a little less. Astronomy REU programs can't accept anyone before March 1st.

Why is that? Why is astro different for their acceptance?

mege said:
Why is that? Why is astro different for their acceptance?

Because the astro REU places got together once and decided that to make it easier for students. It's not really fair for programs to accept people really early and only give them a week to decide before they can hear from other places. Physics SHOULD do the same they but they haven't yet.

modnarandom said:
Holy crap. I already got accepted to a math REU I probably shouldn't have gotten into. :O

some are already notifying? :bugeye:

I've applied to:

MSRI
Bard
CSU San Bernardino
SDSU
St Mary
U Minnesota
Duluth
Clarkson
and Auburn.

I'm also applying for TiP at Duke (not an REU, but sounds fun!). All of the above programs are in mathematics...

Emory has sent out offers (on Feb. 1) and rejections (today.)

Hercuflea said:
University of Michigan CERN REU - rejected (they said they had 250 applicants for 14 spots)

I applied there too and it would be my top choice. I haven't heard anything yet from them, did they send you a rejection e-mail? Or did you ask them directly and that's what they told you?

Never mind I was also rejected...

I also applied to:
The Leadership Alliance Internships
HERE (Oak Ridge)
SIST (Fermilab)
UC Davis
Notre Dame
Michigan State
Rochester
Vanderbilt

I scaled down my expectations after going 0 for 13 last year. Good luck everyone!

ktb said:
Never mind I was also rejected...

How did you find out? I likewise applied to the UMich CERN REU, but have not yet heard back.

Sferics said:
How did you find out? I likewise applied to the UMich CERN REU, but have not yet heard back.

I just e-mailed them directly. They said they were sending out rejections today. I'm sorry, but you will probably get one soon if you haven't already heard from them.

Sferics said:

I did not request information, they just sent me a "regrets" email that said "not all qualified applicants could be admitted."

Did anyone apply to Rutgers DIMACS/DIMATIA? Apps were due Jan. 31, and I'm wondering when we might hear something.

Ok, finally had time to work on this more today (it's time consuming, isn't it?) and submitted my application, CV, essay, etc. for Bard (http://math.bard.edu/reu/) I think the rest should be easier now that I've got all that together.

-Dave K

As an incoming freshman, I have almost no chance at most (Edit: Math) REU's, so I'm applying to the whopping 21 sites where I'm eligible to apply

IU
San Diego State
CSUSB
CSU Fresno
RHIT
Boise State
Kansas State
Worchester PolytechnicInstitute
U Maryland
Central Mich
Grand ValleyState
Hope
MSU
N. CarolinaState U.
RIT
SUNY-PostdamClarkson
UW Stout
James Madison
TSU San Marcos
Texas AM
East Tennessee State

Pros of my application: Calc I-IV, Linear, Abstract, Real, Complex, ODE, and research experience, 1 rec from a research advisor
Cons: No significant competitions, "no college experience!", 1 rec from a high school math teacher

Last edited:
hsetennis said:
As an incoming freshman, I have almost no chance at most (Edit: Math) REU's, so I'm applying to the whopping 21 sites where I'm eligible to apply

IU
San Diego State
CSUSB
CSU Fresno
RHIT
Boise State
Kansas State
Worchester PolytechnicInstitute
U Maryland
Central Mich
Grand ValleyState
Hope
MSU
N. CarolinaState U.
RIT
SUNY-PostdamClarkson
UW Stout
James Madison
TSU San Marcos
Texas AM
East Tennessee State

Pros of my application: Calc I-IV, Linear, Abstract, Real, Complex, ODE, and research experience, 1 rec from a research advisor
Cons: No significant competitions, "no college experience!", 1 rec from a high school math teacher

Well you are certainly qualified, let's hope they don't overlook the fact that you are young. What matters a lot in these is also your minority status and what type of school you go to, i.e. small liberal arts vs. big research university.

<h2>1. What is an REU?</h2><p>An REU, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects in math and science fields.</p><h2>2. Who is eligible to apply for an REU?</h2><p>Undergraduate students who are majoring in a math or science discipline and have completed at least one year of coursework are eligible to apply for REU programs. Some programs may have additional requirements, such as a minimum GPA or specific courses completed.</p><h2>3. How can I find REU programs for the summer of 2013?</h2><p>There are several ways to find REU programs for the summer of 2013. You can search online on websites such as the National Science Foundation's REU program directory or the American Mathematical Society's list of REU sites. You can also ask your professors or academic advisors for recommendations.</p><h2>4. What types of research projects are typically offered in REU programs?</h2><p>REU programs cover a wide range of topics in math and science fields, including biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science, and engineering. The specific research projects offered will vary depending on the program, but they often involve cutting-edge research and hands-on experiences.</p><h2>5. Is it necessary to have prior research experience to participate in an REU program?</h2><p>No, prior research experience is not necessary to participate in an REU program. These programs are designed for undergraduate students who are interested in gaining research experience and may not have had previous opportunities to do so. However, having some background knowledge in the field of the program you are applying to can be helpful.</p>

1. What is an REU?

An REU, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects in math and science fields.

2. Who is eligible to apply for an REU?

Undergraduate students who are majoring in a math or science discipline and have completed at least one year of coursework are eligible to apply for REU programs. Some programs may have additional requirements, such as a minimum GPA or specific courses completed.

3. How can I find REU programs for the summer of 2013?

There are several ways to find REU programs for the summer of 2013. You can search online on websites such as the National Science Foundation's REU program directory or the American Mathematical Society's list of REU sites. You can also ask your professors or academic advisors for recommendations.

4. What types of research projects are typically offered in REU programs?

REU programs cover a wide range of topics in math and science fields, including biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science, and engineering. The specific research projects offered will vary depending on the program, but they often involve cutting-edge research and hands-on experiences.

5. Is it necessary to have prior research experience to participate in an REU program?

No, prior research experience is not necessary to participate in an REU program. These programs are designed for undergraduate students who are interested in gaining research experience and may not have had previous opportunities to do so. However, having some background knowledge in the field of the program you are applying to can be helpful.