VAWT Airfoil Design: Learn How to Calculate Power Output

In summary: The air flux it will take will be more but won't drag force more?I think you should looking into centrifugal fan design, as this is similar to the configuration of your wind turbine. Also, if you PM me I have a contact that may be able to help you.
jack001
hello folks,

I am in mechanical stream & am working on a project of VAWT of power 300 watt. I found a link where i can calculate power output for different parameter. Here's the link:

http://usvawt.com/cgi/windpower.cgi

where i took height as 2m and width as 3m.

Now need to design airfoil blades. Guide me where to start from? Just know the concept of airfoil but don't know the design procedure.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I visited the website you posted above, but I was not able to discover what is a US-VAWT. Will you please supply more detailed specifics of your project?

Thank you, I used Google and found what is a VAWT.

You may find some suggestions for the design of the airfoil blades here:
energy.sandia.gov/wp/wp-content/gallery/.../SAND2012-0304.pdf

Bobbywhy said:
Thank you, I used Google and found what is a VAWT.

You may find some suggestions for the design of the airfoil blades here:
energy.sandia.gov/wp/wp-content/gallery/.../SAND2012-0304.pdf

Thanks alot..

there is nothing discussed of blade design. I want to design on Qblade software (or any other that is used to design blade) but no manuals found to learn this software. I am searching for blades used to run at 3m/s to 12m/s where height to diameter ratio is 1.25.

Possibilities are you're going to need different airfoils along the span of the blade. If there isn't any existing airfoil fitting your needs, try to design one with X-Foil.

Gotcha. I'll watch and learn..

helicopters are a bit too kinematic for me...
http://twitt.org/

Aero_UoP said:
Possibilities are you're going to need different airfoils along the span of the blade. If there isn't any existing airfoil fitting your needs, try to design one with X-Foil.

thanks. I downloaded X-foil and see no difference. Qblade does the same as X-foil. Now i am stuck to which NACA foil should i use, what material, which process to manufacture.. It seems i have lot more work to do.

Done some study on NACA design and says as you shift down in number, the strength and size of the foil decreases. So i choose NACA 0021 for my blade(just an assumption).

I see people using FRP material for blades. What manufacturing process do they use? Is it carried out in plastic injection molding machine?

most of the blades i have seen for VAWT is aerofoil designed but this one is out of blue for me to design. From where to start design and what are the things that i should kept in mind while designing.
Air flux it will take will be more but won't drag force more?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 569
I think you should looking into centrifugal fan design, as this is similar to the configuration of your wind turbine. Also, if you PM me I have a contact that may be able to help you.

1. How does the shape of the airfoil affect the power output of a VAWT?

The shape of the airfoil plays a crucial role in determining the power output of a VAWT. A well-designed airfoil will have a high lift-to-drag ratio, allowing it to efficiently capture and convert wind energy into rotational motion. The shape also affects the stall angle, which is the angle at which the airfoil can no longer generate lift, ultimately limiting the maximum power output.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing an airfoil for a VAWT?

When choosing an airfoil for a VAWT, factors such as the wind speed and direction, the desired power output, and the size and shape of the turbine blades must be considered. The airfoil should also be able to maintain stability and generate lift at the typical operating speeds of the VAWT.

3. How do you calculate the power output of a VAWT using airfoil design?

The power output of a VAWT can be calculated using the lift and drag coefficients of the chosen airfoil, the wind speed and direction, and the area of the turbine blades. By using these values in mathematical equations, the resulting power output can be determined.

4. Can the power output of a VAWT be improved through airfoil design?

Yes, the power output of a VAWT can be improved through proper airfoil design. By choosing an airfoil with a high lift-to-drag ratio and optimizing its shape and size, the turbine can generate more power from the same amount of wind energy.

5. What are some common challenges in VAWT airfoil design?

Some common challenges in VAWT airfoil design include finding the right balance between lift and drag, ensuring stability and efficiency at different wind speeds and directions, and overcoming the limitations of low Reynolds numbers at smaller scales. Additionally, the design must also take into account the structural integrity and weight of the airfoil to withstand the forces of the wind.