Solid - solid impact force peak

In summary, calculating the peak force of an impact between two solids at extremely high speeds (such as 3000 meters per second) involving metals and ceramics is a complex and challenging task. It requires considering factors such as the nature of the solids, the velocity of the collision, and the strain rate. Simple approximations are not applicable in this case and obtaining accurate data for material properties at such high speeds can be difficult.
pixelpuffin
how would i go about calculating the peak force of an impact between two solids
i assume it has to do with the how readily the structure compresses but I am not sure what else might complicate it from there
also what if one of the objects fractures and what about granular impacts

Physics news on Phys.org
It's very hard unless you make assumptions.. Consider dropping a ball onto something soft like clay...

If the ball comes to a stop making an impression "s" meters deep then you can estimate the peak deceleration "a" using the equations of motion...

V2 = U2 + 2as

where

V=0
U = Impact velocity

Solve for "a"

Then use F = ma to calculate the force.

However this assumes the impact is non-elastic and constant deceleration.

If the situation is more complicated (eg the second object fractures) you could use another method (such as high speed camera) to measure the deceleration of the first object directly.

pixelpuffin said:
how would i go about calculating the peak force of an impact between two solids
i assume it has to do with the how readily the structure compresses but I am not sure what else might complicate it from there
also what if one of the objects fractures and what about granular impacts

Your question is extremely vague.

For example, bring two solids slowly together until they finally touch. Now, compare this to slamming those two very, very hard. Do you think there's a difference in "peak force of an impact between two solids"?

You emphasized on the nature of the solid itself when you ignore information on the most important aspect of an impact, the velocity of the collision itself! I've tried to illustrate to you something obvious that you should already be aware of that is a big part of trying to analyze such a situation.

Zz.

i need an equation for extremely high speed (3000 meters per second maybe) most of the time involving metals and ceramics
although a high estimate will work to as long as its always a high estimate

I suspect you won't find it on a general physics forum although someone might surprise us. At those sort of speeds the energy will be enormous. More like an explosion than impact. Might be meaningless to talk about a "peak force" when everything is turned into a gas?

id like to see just how large of a projectile is needed to survive and various angles

Your impact speed is the same order of magnitude as the speed of sound in most engineering materials, so you are out of the range of any "simple" approximations to what happens.

Almost by definition, the stress can't exceed the crushing stress of the material, without breaking something. If you don't want to do any modeling of the impact, that is probably as good a "maximum force" estimate as anything else.

But material properties depend on the strain rate, so you won't find good quality good material data for high velocity impacts just lying around on the web.

1. What is solid-solid impact force peak?

Solid-solid impact force peak is the maximum force exerted between two solid objects when they collide with each other.

2. How is solid-solid impact force peak measured?

Solid-solid impact force peak is typically measured using force sensors or load cells that can accurately measure the force exerted during the impact.

3. What factors affect the solid-solid impact force peak?

The solid-solid impact force peak can be affected by various factors such as the mass, velocity, and stiffness of the colliding objects, as well as the angle and surface properties of the impact.

4. Why is it important to study solid-solid impact force peak?

Understanding solid-solid impact force peak is crucial in many fields of science and engineering, as it can help predict the damage and deformation that can occur during collisions and impacts, and aid in designing more durable and safe structures and materials.

5. Can solid-solid impact force peak be reduced?

Yes, solid-solid impact force peak can be reduced by modifying the properties of the colliding objects, such as using materials with higher energy absorption capacity or by altering the angle and speed of impact.