Can Light Alter the Velocity of Asteroids in Space?

In summary, light can act as a form of propulsion in space through the Yarkovsky Effect, where the photons of light transfer momentum to an object and push it in a specific direction. This can also be seen in the concept of a light sail, where light can be used to propel spacecraft. However, light cannot replicate a collision between two objects in the same way as the trains example, as it does not have mass. Instead, it can alter the velocity of an object it collides with through the transfer of momentum.
BobbyWOMACK
Hey what's up! So I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept that light is able to push asteroids in space. I understand the Yarkovsky Effect and how it acts as a propulsion system, but I want to know if light is able to push objects in space strictly based on a collision basis. Can it replicate a simple example where to trains collide into each other; Is light able to act as mass colliding with another object altering its velocity?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
BobbyWOMACK said:
Hey what's up! So I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept that light is able to push asteroids in space. I understand the Yarkovsky Effect and how it acts as a propulsion system, but I want to know if light is able to push objects in space strictly based on a collision basis. Can it replicate a simple example where to trains collide into each other; Is light able to act as mass colliding with another object altering its velocity?

Thanks

Google "light sail"

1. What is "Light Pushing Asteroids"?

"Light Pushing Asteroids" is a concept proposed by scientists to use focused light beams to alter the trajectory of asteroids and prevent potential collisions with Earth.

2. How does "Light Pushing" work?

The process involves using a large, powerful laser to heat up the surface of the asteroid, causing it to release vapor and create thrust. This thrust then pushes the asteroid off its original course.

3. Can "Light Pushing" actually change an asteroid's trajectory?

Yes, studies have shown that even small changes in an asteroid's velocity can significantly alter its path and prevent potential impact with Earth.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using "Light Pushing" on asteroids?

While "Light Pushing" is a promising concept, there are still some risks and challenges that need to be addressed. These include accurately predicting the trajectory of the asteroid, potential damage to the asteroid's surface, and the potential for the asteroid to break apart under the force of the laser.

5. Is "Light Pushing" a feasible solution for preventing asteroid impacts?

"Light Pushing" is still in the early stages of research and development, and there are many factors that need to be considered before it can be implemented as a solution for preventing asteroid impacts. More research and testing is needed to determine its effectiveness and feasibility.