by Maylis
Tags: ideal, solution
Share this thread:
Maylis
Apr26-14, 05:12 PM
PF Gold
P: 469
Hello,

I am wondering, if you have an ideal gas mixture, does that automatically mean that the solution is an ideal solution? Or is it possible to have an ideal gas mixture that is not an ideal solution.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers discover cool-burning flames in space, could lead to better engines on earth (w/ Video)
Professors object to FAA restrictions on drone use
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
SteamKing
Apr26-14, 05:56 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,319
Gases don't dissolve into one another like solids do into liquids. What you have is just a mixture.
SteamKing
Apr26-14, 07:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,319
More to the point, we spend our lives immersed in a gaseous mixture called 'air', which is also not a solution.

Maylis
Apr26-14, 08:10 PM
PF Gold
P: 469
Ideal gas and Ideal Gas solution

I don't think the concept of an ideal gas solution is null. It's mentioned in my thermodynamics textbook and referred to quite often, in fact.
Chestermiller
Apr26-14, 09:39 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 5,056
Quote Quote by Maylis View Post
Hello,

I am wondering, if you have an ideal gas mixture, does that automatically mean that the solution is an ideal solution? Or is it possible to have an ideal gas mixture that is not an ideal solution.

Thanks
An ideal solution is defined as an entity that behaves as an ideal gas mixture. The molecules of the various gases do not interact, so the volume change on mixing is zero and the heat of mixing is zero.

Chet

Register to reply