Calculating Capacitor Charge Time: 1000 uF, R Value

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the charge time for a capacitor and factors that can affect it. The resistance value needed for the calculation can come from the circuit or be specified in the capacitor's datasheet. The critical parameters for charging a capacitor quickly and safely, such as ESR and ripple current, can also be found in the datasheet. Additionally, the conversation mentions the potential risks of charging a capacitor too quickly and provides a formula for determining the minimum resistor value needed for a fixed DC voltage. A helpful resource for understanding large capacitors is also mentioned.
OZwurld
Hello all,

I was reading this post on calculating the capacitor charge time:
Code:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=145203

My problem is i have a capacitor (1000uF) and i want to determine its charge time but don't know the R value, is it something i chose arbitrarily or should it be in a datasheet.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It should come from the circuit. If your resistance is at or near 0, then your current is very large and your capacitor would fill up instantaneously.

is there a typical value that i should use, or does that all depend on how much current i want?

OZwurld said:
is there a typical value that i should use, or does that all depend on how much current i want?

In the limit, it absolutely depends upon the resistance (and the Inductance) of the rest of the circuit. In real life, a Capacitor is never charged "instantaneously". The leads and internal structure of the C will also have resistive and inductive components; when using Capacitors at RF, the self Inductance can be very relevant; any Capacitor can resonate and behave as a short circuit, open circuit or even an Inductor, above self-resonance.

The critical parameters relating to minimum charge time will be specified in the manufacturers data sheet.
1000uF will almost certainly be electrolytic, so the parameters will be;
1. ESR, the effective series resistance. 2. Ripple current, I_ripple. 3. Temperature rating.

If you try to charge an electrolytic capacitor too quickly, the high current flow may fuse the internal foil. That can also happen if you short circuit a capacitor. If you repeat the charge-discharge cycle often, the I2R power dissipated in the capacitor ESR may overheat the electrolyte. Keep the current below the ripple current specified.

To charge a capacitor, C, from a fixed DC voltage, V, through a resistor, R, will require the minimum resistor value to be R = V / I_ripple.

Likes arod091
here's a pretty good overview of large capacitors

http://www.vishay.com/docs/28356/alucapsintroduction.pdf

1. How do I calculate the charge time for a 1000 uF capacitor?

The charge time for a capacitor can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where t is the charge time in seconds, R is the resistance value in ohms, and C is the capacitance value in farads. For a 1000 uF capacitor, C would be equal to 0.001 farads.

2. What is the value of R in the equation for calculating capacitor charge time?

R refers to the resistance value in ohms and can be determined by the circuit in which the capacitor is connected. It can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R = V/I) or measured using a multimeter.

3. Is it necessary to use the given units (uF and ohms) in the calculation for charge time?

Yes, it is important to use the correct units in the formula for accurate calculations. Capacitance is measured in farads (F) and resistance is measured in ohms (Ω). If the values are in different units, they must be converted before using the formula.

4. Can the charge time for a capacitor be shortened by using a smaller resistance value?

Yes, according to the formula t = RC, a smaller resistance value will result in a shorter charge time for a given capacitance value. However, using too small of a resistance can cause excessive current flow and potentially damage the capacitor.

5. Is there a maximum charge time for a capacitor?

No, there is no maximum charge time for a capacitor. However, it is important to monitor the charge time and ensure that it does not exceed the limits of the capacitor's voltage rating. Exceeding the voltage rating can cause the capacitor to fail.