Converting equations to linear equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to plot a function f(x) = 2*log(x) in a linear graph. The suggested method is to set log(x)=t and plot y vs. t, but the individual has tried this and did not get a linear graph. They then mention seeing an example in a book of plotting a nonlinear equation as a linear graph, but are unsure of how it works. The other person suggests studying logarithmic scales and their purpose in graphing.
christian0710
Hi, Let's say I have a function f(x) = 2*log(x). I know scientists sometimes plot f(x) on the y axis, but then instead of plotting x on the x-axis they plot log (x) such that the graph becomes linear.

How would i plot a function f(x)= 2*log(x) such that it is linear ?

My attemps - Perhaps i don't understand the logic?
I tried doing this: i set log(x)=t, then i have the equation y=2*t which is linear,

Then i find the values from the equation y=2*t
t y
1 2
2 4
3 6
4 8

Then i plot a graph y on the Y axis and ln(x) on the x axis, but i don't get a linear graph when plotting this :(

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I saw from a book that the equation c=constant * T^(1/2) would be plotted as a straight line if you set T^(1/2) =x so you get the graph f(x)=constant*x, and then plot y against T^(1/2) so I was wondering how that worked - the book did not show a working example of how it was plotted.

christian0710 said:
Hi, Let's say I have a function f(x) = 2*log(x). I know scientists sometimes plot f(x) on the y axis, but then instead of plotting x on the x-axis they plot log (x) such that the graph becomes linear.

How would i plot a function f(x)= 2*log(x) such that it is linear ?

My attemps - Perhaps i don't understand the logic?
I tried doing this: i set log(x)=t, then i have the equation y=2*t which is linear,

Then i find the values from the equation y=2*t
t y
1 2
2 4
3 6
4 8

Then i plot a graph y on the Y axis and ln(x) on the x axis, but i don't get a linear graph when plotting this :(

You are only going to get a straight line if you plot y vs. t, not y vs. log (x).

But if i plot c vs t^(1/2) in the equation c=2*T^(1/2) then i get a straight line. So is it not possible to do the same with the log function?

And what's the point of graphing a nonlinear equation as a linear graph? I guess it always tells us that a variable is proportional to the y-value?

Last edited:

1. What is the process for converting equations to linear equations?

The process for converting equations to linear equations involves manipulating the given equation to have the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. This can be done by simplifying and rearranging the terms in the equation.

2. Can any equation be converted to a linear equation?

No, not all equations can be converted to linear equations. Only equations that can be written in the form y = mx + b, where x and y are variables and m and b are constants, can be considered linear equations.

3. What are some common methods for converting equations to linear equations?

There are several methods for converting equations to linear equations, such as graphing, substitution, elimination, and using the point-slope form. The method used will depend on the given equation and the desired form of the linear equation.

4. Why is it useful to convert equations to linear equations?

Converting equations to linear equations can make it easier to analyze and solve problems involving the given equation. Linear equations are also commonly used in mathematics and science, making it a useful skill to have.

5. Are there any tips for converting equations to linear equations?

One tip for converting equations to linear equations is to simplify the given equation as much as possible before attempting to convert it. It can also be helpful to identify patterns or relationships between the variables in the equation to determine the appropriate method for conversion.