Register to reply

Converting equations to linear equations?

by christian0710
Tags: converting, equations, linear
Share this thread:
christian0710
Jul7-14, 09:21 AM
P: 209
Hi, Let's say I have a function f(x) = 2*log(x). I know scientists sometimes plot f(x) on the y axis, but then instead of plotting x on the x-axis they plot log (x) such that the graph becomes linear.

How would i plot a function f(x)= 2*log(x) such that it is linear ?

My attemps - Perhaps i don't understand the logic?
I tried doing this: i set log(x)=t, then i have the equation y=2*t which is linear,

Then i find the values from the equation y=2*t
t y
1 2
2 4
3 6
4 8

Then i plot a graph y on the Y axis and ln(x) on the x axis, but i don't get a linear graph when plotting this :(
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
christian0710
Jul7-14, 09:25 AM
I saw from a book that the equation c=constant * T^(1/2) would be plotted as a straight line if you set T^(1/2) =x so you get the graph f(x)=constant*x, and then plot y against T^(1/2) so I was wondering how that worked - the book did not show a working example of how it was plotted.
SteamKing
Jul7-14, 10:10 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,319
Quote Quote by christian0710 View Post
Hi, Let's say I have a function f(x) = 2*log(x). I know scientists sometimes plot f(x) on the y axis, but then instead of plotting x on the x-axis they plot log (x) such that the graph becomes linear.

How would i plot a function f(x)= 2*log(x) such that it is linear ?

My attemps - Perhaps i don't understand the logic?
I tried doing this: i set log(x)=t, then i have the equation y=2*t which is linear,

Then i find the values from the equation y=2*t
t y
1 2
2 4
3 6
4 8

Then i plot a graph y on the Y axis and ln(x) on the x axis, but i don't get a linear graph when plotting this :(
You are only going to get a straight line if you plot y vs. t, not y vs. log (x).

christian0710
Jul7-14, 10:44 AM
Converting equations to linear equations?

But if i plot c vs t^(1/2) in the equation c=2*T^(1/2) then i get a straight line. So is it not possible to do the same with the log function?

And what's the point of graphing a nonlinear equation as a linear graph? I guess it always tells us that a variable is proportional to the y-value?
SteamKing
Jul7-14, 11:03 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,319
Perhaps you need to study logarithmic scales:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmic_scale

Register to reply