Bacteria: Magnetite Crystals, Movement & Earth's Magnetic Field

• Thread starter JimmyRay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bacteria
In summary, magnetite crystals found in some bacteria act as an internal compass that helps them orient their movement. While they can still move on their own, the crystals provide an additional mechanism for navigation. These bacteria are also influenced by other factors such as temperature, pH, moisture, and food. This phenomenon is similar to how birds with magnetite in their heads do not always move in a specific direction.
JimmyRay
What do magnetite crystals found in some bacteria exactly do? I heard it helps them move around but, how would that work? Can they not move on their own? Are they always only affected by the Earth's magnetic field?

Biology news on Phys.org
JimmyRay said:
What do magnetite crystals found in some bacteria exactly do? I heard it helps them move around but, how would that work? Can they not move on their own? Are they always only affected by the Earth's magnetic field?

I imagine your question was promted by a related thread
the magnetite crystals actually form dipoles with two polar ends just like a compass needle. Presumably the bacteria that contain these crystals are influenced by the orientation of the crystals and can decide whether to base its direction of movement, using it's internal compass or not.. (After all birds who have magnetite in their heads don't always move north or south). In the case of the bacteria, there are other mechanisms that also influence their movement: temperature, pH gradient, moisture, food (chemotactic), gravity.. But certainly an internal compass makes a nice addition to its sensors.

Last edited:
Ohh I see...thats pretty cool, actually that question just came up in physics class lol, we're studying electricity and magnetism I just wanted some more insight... I'll check out the thread though thanks...

1. What are magnetite crystals and how are they related to bacteria?

Magnetite crystals are small magnetic particles that are naturally produced by some bacteria. These crystals are used by bacteria as a way to navigate and orient themselves in their environment.

2. How do bacteria use magnetite crystals to move?

Bacteria have small structures called magnetosomes that contain magnetite crystals. These magnetosomes act like a compass, allowing the bacteria to sense the Earth's magnetic field and move in a specific direction.

3. Can bacteria move without magnetite crystals?

Yes, bacteria can still move without magnetite crystals. Many bacteria have other ways of detecting and responding to their environment, such as using chemical signals or light.

4. How does Earth's magnetic field affect bacteria?

Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in the movement and behavior of bacteria with magnetite crystals. It allows them to navigate and find their preferred environments, such as areas with more nutrients or oxygen.

5. Are magnetite crystals and their use in bacteria well-understood?

While there is still ongoing research in this area, the basic mechanisms of how magnetite crystals function in bacteria are well-understood. However, there is still much to learn about the specific roles and adaptations of different bacterial species in relation to these crystals and Earth's magnetic field.