Help with an integration problem

In summary, Dan suggests using a complex integration approach for the given integration problem, especially if R approaches infinity.
vix_cse
hi:

I am faced with an integration problem and can't seem to get even Maple/Mathematica to solve it. Would really appreciate if somebody can help me here. An approximate solution will also help.

[tex] \int_{-R}^{R}{cos(2\pi\nu x}) e^{-2\mu{\sqrt{R^2 - x^2}}}dx [/tex]

thanks a lot for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vix_cse said:
hi:

I am faced with an integration problem and can't seem to get even Maple/Mathematica to solve it. Would really appreciate if somebody can help me here. An approximate solution will also help.

[tex] \int_{-R}^{R}{cos(2\pi\nu x}) e^{-2\mu{\sqrt{R^2 - x^2}}}dx [/tex]

thanks a lot for your time.

Just off the cuff I would recommend a complex integration approach. At least if R approaches infinity that ought to work nicely.

-Dan

Hi there,

I understand that you are struggling with an integration problem and are seeking help. Integrals can be tricky, so it's great that you are reaching out for assistance. I'm not familiar with Maple or Mathematica, but I will try to guide you through solving this problem.

First, let's break down the integral into smaller parts. We can start by rewriting the exponential term as e^{-2\mu\sqrt{R^2 - x^2}} = e^{-2\mu\sqrt{(R^2 - x^2)/R^2}}. Next, we can use the trigonometric identity cos(2\pi\nu x) = (e^{2\pi i\nu x} + e^{-2\pi i\nu x})/2.

Using these substitutions, our integral becomes:

\int_{-R}^{R}{\frac{e^{2\pi i\nu x}}{2} + \frac{e^{-2\pi i\nu x}}{2}} e^{-2\mu\sqrt{(R^2 - x^2)/R^2}}dx

Now, we can split this into two integrals and solve them separately. Let's start with the first one:

\int_{-R}^{R}{\frac{e^{2\pi i\nu x}}{2}e^{-2\mu\sqrt{(R^2 - x^2)/R^2}}}dx

We can use the substitution u = \sqrt{(R^2 - x^2)/R^2} to simplify this integral. This will give us du = -\frac{x}{R^2\sqrt{R^2 - x^2}}dx. Substituting this back into the integral, we get:

\int_{-1}^{1}{\frac{e^{2\pi i\nu R u}}{2}e^{-2\mu u}}du

This integral can be solved using integration by parts. Let's define f(u) = \frac{e^{-2\mu u}}{2} and g'(u) = e^{2\pi i\nu R u}. This gives us f'(u) = -\mu e^{-2\mu u} and g(u) = \frac{e^{2\pi i\nu R u}}{2\pi i\nu R}.

What is an integration problem?

An integration problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve or the value of a definite integral. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of real-world problems.

Why do I need help with an integration problem?

Integration problems can be challenging and require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts. If you are struggling with an integration problem, seeking help can provide you with a better understanding of the problem and how to solve it.

What are some tips for solving an integration problem?

Some tips for solving an integration problem include understanding the fundamental principles of integration, using substitution or integration by parts where appropriate, and practicing with different types of problems.

Can I use a calculator to solve an integration problem?

Yes, many calculators have built-in integration functions that can help solve integration problems. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind integration so that you can verify the calculator's results and have a better understanding of the problem.

Where can I find additional resources for help with integration problems?

There are many online resources available for help with integration problems, such as tutorial videos, practice problems with solutions, and online forums where you can ask for help and clarification. Your teacher or professor may also have additional resources or be available for extra help.