Proving a volume of a cylinder

The summary is: In summary, the conversation discussed how to prove that the volume of a cylinder equals to v= A^2 \ (4πh) where h= height of the cylinder and A = area of a original paper. The method suggested was to find an expression for A in terms of n, r, and h, square it and divide by 4nh to show that it equals the volume of the cylinder. It was also mentioned that the preferred method for finding the volume of a cylinder is through integrals. Additionally, the meaning of "putting the 2 functions in the parentheses separated by the colon" was clarified as well as the meaning of A being the area of the original paper used to create the cylinder.
rachael
1. Show that a volume of a clyinder equals to v= A^2 \ (4πh)
where h= height of the cylinder
A = area of a original paper

how would i prove this question?
could anyone please help
thank you

v= πr^2 h -------1
v=A^2 \ (4πh)-----2

i tried to make h da subject but i got 4v^2 = Ar^2 which it does work out

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the curved surface area of a cylinder ?
Is it the area of paper used ?

yes the area of the paper is used

Since this is in the precalculus forum, i won't refer to integrals. The regular expression for the volume of a cylinder is nr^2h. The area of the paper is A. Find an expression for A in terms of n, r and h, and simply square that and divide by 4nh to show that this equals the volume of the sylinder.

Just for the record, I prefer the integral form, much nicer and easier to understant I find.

~H

thank you for your help though

what is the meaning of "putting the 2 functions in the parathesis separated by the colon" ?? :bugeye: :bugeye:

what's the meaning of
"A = area of a original paper"

yOU skipped the most important part !?
by folding a paper to form a cylinder !? I assume..
A=2πrh
V=πrrh = 2πrh2πrh\4πh = AA\4πh

@.u

1. How do you calculate the volume of a cylinder?

The volume of a cylinder can be calculated by multiplying the area of its circular base by its height. The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. What is the formula for the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is V = πr^2h, where V is the volume, r is the radius of the circular base, and h is the height of the cylinder.

3. How do you prove the volume of a cylinder?

To prove the volume of a cylinder, you can use the formula V = πr^2h and substitute in the values for the radius and height. Then, use a calculator to calculate the volume and compare it to the given volume. If they are equal, then the volume has been proven.

4. Can the volume of a cylinder be calculated using other shapes?

No, the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder can only be used for cylinders. Other shapes, such as cones or spheres, have their own unique formulas for calculating volume.

5. What units are used for the volume of a cylinder?

The units used for the volume of a cylinder depend on the units used for the radius and height. If the radius and height are in centimeters, then the volume will be in cubic centimeters (cm^3). If the radius and height are in inches, then the volume will be in cubic inches (in^3).