The Physics of Helium Purging NO Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of helium gas for purging aqueous solutions prior to high resolution spectroscopy. The speaker is specifically interested in the physics behind using helium to purge other gases, such as oxygen, in a system. The context is purging oxygen out of a system to measure trace concentrations of Nitric Oxide in order to solve mysteries associated with the compound. The speaker mentions using a nitrogen atmosphere and a mass spectrometer, but further details are needed for a better understanding of the experiment. Ultimately, the speaker decides to create their own model for the purging process.
CentGentdub
I am curious about the physics behind why helium is or is not a good gas to use purging other solutions. I am explicitly interested in its effects with NO.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that Helium has been used for purging aqueous solutions prior to high resolution spectroscopy.

But perhaps you have a different context in mind. So please tell us what the context is. And if you include a reference to support the assertion, that would be ideal.

well, what I am doing is using helium to purge oxygen out of a system I have developed to measure trace concentrations of Nitric Oxide so I can try to solve some of the mysteries associated with the compound. I have been searching to see if there is a Math/Physics model for the mixture of gaseous solutions. The reason is because i have cleared all the leaks of my machine as well as put it in a nitrogen atmosphere and for some reason when My sample makes it to the mass spec i seem to be losing about 87% of the original sample.

1) You're purging an aqueous solution prior to assay of NO or NOx; 2) you're (or not?) chromatographing the solution; 3) you're doing a mass spec of the solution, or of the gase stream during the purging process?

You're going to have to come up with a more detailed description of what you're doing --- asking people to guess what you're doing and tell you what problems might arise just ain't going to get anywhere.

I gave a brief overview. All I want to know is The physics behind using Helium Gas to purge another gas in a system. Any System. But I have decided just to create my own model and move on. Thanks anyways.

1. What is helium purging and why is it necessary for NO solutions?

Helium purging is a process in which helium gas is used to remove any remaining air or other gases from a vessel or container. In the context of NO solutions, helium purging is necessary because nitrogen oxide (NO) is a highly reactive gas that can easily react with oxygen and other gases in the air. By purging with helium, the concentration of NO in the solution can be controlled and maintained at specific levels.

2. How does helium purging affect the physical properties of NO solutions?

Helium purging has a significant impact on the physical properties of NO solutions. Firstly, it reduces the concentration of oxygen and other gases, which can react with NO and alter its properties. Secondly, helium is a much lighter gas than air, so it can help to reduce the density of the solution, making it easier to handle and transport. Lastly, helium purging can also help to prevent the formation of bubbles in the solution, which can affect its stability and accuracy in experiments.

3. What are the potential hazards of working with NO solutions without proper helium purging?

Working with NO solutions without proper helium purging can pose several hazards. Firstly, the reactive nature of NO can lead to explosions or other accidents if it comes into contact with air or other gases. Secondly, the presence of air or other gases in the solution can alter its properties and affect the accuracy of experiments. Lastly, without proper purging, the concentration of NO in the solution may be inconsistent, making it difficult to control and measure.

4. How is helium purging typically performed in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory setting, helium purging is typically performed using a gas cylinder or a helium generator. The vessel containing the NO solution is connected to the helium source, and the gas is allowed to flow into the vessel, displacing the air and other gases. The process may be repeated multiple times to ensure thorough purging. Once purging is complete, the vessel is sealed to maintain the desired concentration of NO in the solution.

5. Are there any alternatives to helium purging for NO solutions?

While helium purging is the most common method for purging NO solutions, there are alternatives that can be used. One alternative is to use an inert gas, such as argon, instead of helium. Inert gases do not react with NO, so they can help to prevent unwanted reactions in the solution. Another alternative is to use a vacuum pump to remove the air and other gases from the vessel. However, this method may not be as effective as helium purging and may require longer purging times.