Effects of Static Electric Fields on Humans: Short and Long Term Consequences

In summary, the study found that exposure to a high voltage transient electric field can lead to total hemolysis of human erythrocytes. There is some concern that this could have long-term effects on the health of VDT users.
teilchen
this isn't a quack question (is my monitor giving me cancer...etc) but are there any studies involving effects on humans of considerable static electric fields? say low thousands of Vm-1?

what could be possible long/short term effects?

Biology news on Phys.org
A quick search on pubmed on the topic resulted in quite a few articles (so the question has been asked, at least to some extent, before). Here's the first article that caught my eye:

"Hemolysis of Human Erythrocytes by a Transient Electric Field"

Exposure of human erythrocytes, under isotonic conditions, to a high voltage pulse of a few kV/cm leads to total hemolysis of the red cells. Experiments described herein demonstrate that the hemolysis is due to the effect of the electric field. Neither the effect of current nor the extent of the rapid Joule-heating to the suspending medium shows a direct correlation with the observed hemolysis. Voltage pulsation of the erythrocyte suspension can induce a transmembrane potential across the cell membrane and, at a critical point, it either opens up or creates pores in the red cells.

teilchen said:
this isn't a quack question (is my monitor giving me cancer...etc) but are there any studies involving effects on humans of considerable static electric fields?

That's not a quack question.
Health risks of computer monitors has been the subject of serious scientific debate and concern. Computer monitors using cathode ray tube technology (VDTs) as well as other sources of electromagnetic fields (high power lines) have been studied over the last decade in which there has been cause for concern.

Here is a quote from an Indiana Univ reference (July 1996) on Computers and Health

"While little evidence exists that low-frequency electrical fields damage the health of VDT users, Brodeur cites research showing that a serious problem may lie in the low-frequency magnetic fields VDTs produce. Preliminary findings suggest that disturbances at the cellular level can occur in people exposed to strong fields over long periods of time. These disturbances may be the cause of an increased incidence of miscarriage in pregnant VDT users and are thought to suppress the immune system, a factor tied to
cancer."

Here is a
]report[/url] from 1994, that discusses much of the research conducted up to that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
well usually it'd be accompanied by a follow up such as "if i buy this magnetism quantum ray blocker from www.scam.com will i be cancer-free"...not suggesting that anyone on this forum would ask such things :)

anyway, back to topic. the study muad mentioned is on a high voltage transitory field...ok its not AC, but it's not exactly a smoothly increased, and then fixed field. kinda assumed that that is what static field meant?

1. What are electric fields?

Electric fields are regions of space around a charged object in which a force would be exerted on another charged object. They are created by the presence of electric charges and can either attract or repel other charges.

2. How are electric fields measured?

Electric fields are measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) using a device called an electric field meter. This device measures the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific location.

3. What are the potential health effects of exposure to electric fields?

The potential health effects of exposure to electric fields are still being studied and debated. Some studies suggest a possible link between long-term exposure to high levels of electric fields and an increased risk of cancer, while others have not found a significant association. More research is needed to fully understand the potential health effects.

4. How can we limit our exposure to electric fields?

To limit exposure to electric fields, you can try to avoid sources of high electric fields such as power lines or electrical appliances. You can also increase the distance between yourself and these sources, as electric fields decrease with distance. Additionally, using shielding materials or grounding can help reduce exposure.

5. Are there regulations or guidelines for safe exposure to electric fields?

Currently, there are no federal regulations or guidelines for safe exposure to electric fields in the United States. However, some international organizations, such as the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection, have established guidelines for exposure limits. It is important to follow safety precautions and limit exposure to electric fields as much as possible.