Understanding the Difference Between Parallel and Series Circuits

In summary, the conversation is about a request for help in understanding two circuits and their resistances. The first question involves a switch and a possible change in the ammeter reading, while the second question involves using Ohm's law to understand series and parallel circuits. The person is seeking clarification and assistance from an expert.

Is this a tough question?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
smarthbehl
First of all i wud like to say sorry for being rude last time
I am attaching two pictures in which circuits and questions are written
I have tried the first questin<circuit 1> but no idea about that
In second question<circuit2> according to me total resistance is 6 ohms by using formulas of <R1+R2+R3...Rn> and <1/R1+1/R2+1/R3>
Please help me out
I need ur help
I want and i request you all that kindly lease explain me both the circuits i.e which resistances are in parallel and which are in series
Please help me as early as you can
I need ur help
Thanx in Advance
Smarthbehl:confused: :confused: :confused:

Attachments

• circuit1.jpg
    circuit1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 383
  • circuit2.jpg
    circuit2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
For question 1, it states that the current through the ammeter is 0.6 A when the switch is open. The trick is this: Does current flow through the 3rd resistor when the switch is open? What happens when you close the switch? Does current flow through the 3rd resistor now? Does it affect the ammeter reading?

For question 2, use Ohm's law.

Last edited:
You can think of electric current behaving the same as water in a river. In series circuits all of the water flows throught all of the circuit (and each of the components in the series circuit). In parallel circuits the river have branches and the water (current) splits up into the branches, which means part of the total current flows throught the various branches (differrent current in the separate branches). All of the current that leaves the cell will return to the cell at the other end (conservation of electric charge).

1. What is the difference between a parallel and series circuit?

A parallel circuit has multiple paths for current to flow, while a series circuit has only one path for current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across each component, but the current is divided among the components. In a series circuit, the current is the same throughout, but the voltage is divided among the components.

2. Which circuit is better for powering multiple devices?

A parallel circuit is better for powering multiple devices because each device receives the full voltage, and the current is divided among the devices. This means that each device can operate independently without affecting the others, whereas in a series circuit, if one device fails, the entire circuit will be affected.

3. How do you calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit, you use the formula: 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. This means that you take the reciprocal of each individual resistance and add them together, then take the reciprocal of the sum to get the total resistance.

4. What happens to the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. This means that as you add more components to the circuit, the total resistance increases. This is because the current has to flow through each component, and each component adds to the overall resistance.

5. Why are parallel circuits used in homes and buildings?

Parallel circuits are used in homes and buildings because they allow for multiple devices to be powered simultaneously without affecting each other. This is important for safety reasons and for convenience. Additionally, if one device fails, the others will still receive power. This is why outlets in homes and buildings are wired in parallel.