Relative Velocity of Aeroplane from A to B

In summary, the aeroplane starts from airport A and goes to airport B, which is 600km away. The course from A to B is 30 degrees, and the wind is blowing with a velocity of 40 km/h from the NW.
teng125
An aeroplane starts from airport A to airport B, which is 600km away.
The course (N) over ground from A to B is 30°. The wind is blowing with
v(W) = 40 km/h from NW. The relative velocity is 200 km/h.

can somebody pls explain to me how does the vector diagram looks like??

i don't know what is course (N) and W

pls help

Physics news on Phys.org
N = North (drawn in the +y direction)
S = South (drawn in the -y direction)
E = East (drawn in the +x direction)
W = West (drawn in the -x direction)

Does that help? When it says the wind is from the NW (northwest), that means that the vector points down and to the right (aiming toward the southeast).

EDIT -- and the 30 degree thing is incomplete. It should say something like N 30 degrees E or something.

[The course (N) over ground from A to B is 30°.]

what does this mean??

teng125 said:
[The course (N) over ground from A to B is 30°.]

what does this mean??
I'm sorry, I have no idea. I've seen notation like North 30 degrees of East, which I believe would mean a vector that is rotated 30 degrees Northward, starting from East (but I'm not sure about that notation).

The only other thing I can think of is the absolute compass heading, which starts at zero degrees for North, and counts up clockwise:

N = 0 degrees

E = 90 degrees

S = 180 degrees

W = 270 degrees.

So an absolute heading of 30 degrees would be 1/3 of the way down from North, pointing to the east. Maybe that's what they mean. How in the world could they ask you that question without giving you a little information in your study materials about what they mean?

EDIT -- Kind of like this compass display from an airplane. Well, the numbers on it are shortened by 10 for ease of reading, but you get the idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heading_indicator

Last edited:
the question is to ask to Draw the
vector diagram of velocities , which i cannot image how it looks like

Start the drawing with the two cities (assuming my last interpretation of the question is correct). That puts city A at the origin, and city B at

(x,y) = (e,n) = (600cos(30 degrees),600sin(30 degrees))

That is the direction that you need the resultant ground-based velocity vector to point in, right? The ground-based velocity vector is the sum of the airspeed vector of the plane, plus the wind vector. The wind vector should be something like:

(Vx,Vy) = (Ve,Vn) = 40km/hr * (cos(45),-sin(45) (the wind is from the NorthWest, so it points down and right towards the southeast)

Now just work out the vector additions or subtractions...

I'm out for the day. Good luck!

thanx...

1. What is relative velocity of an aeroplane from A to B?

The relative velocity of an aeroplane from point A to point B is the speed and direction of the aeroplane with respect to an observer on the ground at point A. It takes into account both the speed of the aeroplane and the speed and direction of the wind.

2. How is the relative velocity of an aeroplane calculated?

The relative velocity of an aeroplane can be calculated by adding the velocity of the aeroplane to the velocity of the wind. This can be done using vector addition, taking into account the direction and magnitude of each velocity.

3. Why is the relative velocity of an aeroplane important?

The relative velocity of an aeroplane is important because it affects the time it takes for the aeroplane to travel from point A to point B. It also affects the fuel consumption and efficiency of the aeroplane, as well as the amount of turbulence the passengers may experience during the flight.

4. How does the wind affect the relative velocity of an aeroplane?

The wind can either increase or decrease the relative velocity of an aeroplane, depending on its direction and speed. If the wind is blowing in the same direction as the aeroplane, it will increase the relative velocity and make the flight faster. If the wind is blowing in the opposite direction, it will decrease the relative velocity and make the flight slower.

5. Can the relative velocity of an aeroplane change during a flight?

Yes, the relative velocity of an aeroplane can change during a flight due to changes in wind speed and direction. This is why pilots often adjust their flight plans and routes to take advantage of tailwinds and avoid headwinds, in order to optimize their relative velocity and save time and fuel.