Displacement graph Parabolic?

In summary, a displacement graph parabolic is a graphical representation of an object's displacement over time, where the displacement follows a parabolic curve. It differs from a regular displacement graph in that it shows a curved relationship between displacement and time. The shape of the graph indicates that the object's velocity is changing at a constant rate and the slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration. Real-life examples of displacement graph parabolic include the motion of projectiles, rollercoasters, and cars on curved paths.
Missy81590
Hi all,

I just had to do an experiment with ticker tape. Its a very common experiment dealing with displacement, velocity and acceleration. I have to graph each verse time. I figured out displacement would be a parabolic graph, but i don't understand why. Can someone please explain that for me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
also, why would velocity graph be linear?

What does a parabolic displacement graph tell you? Think what are on your horizontal and vertical axis and think about the object moving in that manner.

1. What is a displacement graph parabolic?

A displacement graph parabolic is a graphical representation of an object's displacement over time, where the displacement follows a parabolic curve.

2. How is a displacement graph parabolic different from a regular displacement graph?

A regular displacement graph shows a linear relationship between displacement and time, while a displacement graph parabolic shows a curved relationship.

3. What does the shape of a displacement graph parabolic indicate?

The shape of a displacement graph parabolic indicates that the object's velocity is changing at a constant rate.

4. How is a displacement graph parabolic related to acceleration?

A displacement graph parabolic is related to acceleration by the fact that the slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of displacement graph parabolic?

Some real-life examples of displacement graph parabolic include the motion of a projectile, such as a baseball being thrown or a ball rolling down a curved slope. It can also represent the motion of a rollercoaster or a car accelerating and decelerating on a curved road.