Magnitude and Direction, Gravitational force Q

In summary, the magnitude of the gravitational force acting on a woman who weighs 500 N at the surface of the earth is 500 N and the direction is towards the center of the earth, straight down vertically.
AznSup3rman
I don't know if this is a very easy question or if I am totally missing something but the question is:

What is the magnitude and direction of the gravitational force that acts on a women who weighs 500 N at the surface of the earth?

From reading this, I am thinking that the magnitude would be 500 N and the direction would be towards the Earth. Is this correct? Heh, probably this is a very easy question but I just wanted to check if I am correct or totally wrong and if i am wrong, would someone be able to hint at the right direction so I can look it up? I don't quite understand all the concepts. Thank you in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
AznSup3rman said:
I don't know if this is a very easy question or if I am totally missing something but the question is:

What is the magnitude and direction of the gravitational force that acts on a women who weighs 500 N at the surface of the earth?

From reading this, I am thinking that the magnitude would be 500 N and the direction would be towards the Earth. Is this correct? Heh, probably this is a very easy question but I just wanted to check if I am correct or totally wrong and if i am wrong, would someone be able to hint at the right direction so I can look it up? I don't quite understand all the concepts. Thank you in advanced.
You're doing prety good so far. You might want to clarify the direction, which is toward the center of the earth, straight down vertically.

Thanks for the help and tip. Appreciate it

1. What is magnitude and direction in relation to gravitational force?

Magnitude refers to the strength or intensity of a force, in this case, the gravitational force. Direction refers to the path or orientation of the force, which in the case of gravitational force is always towards the center of mass.

2. How is the magnitude of gravitational force calculated?

The magnitude of gravitational force is calculated using the equation F = Gm1m2/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between their centers of mass. This equation is known as Newton's law of universal gravitation.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of gravitational force?

The magnitude of gravitational force is affected by the masses of the two objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the objects, the greater the force, and the smaller the distance between them, the greater the force.

4. Can the direction of gravitational force change?

No, the direction of gravitational force is always towards the center of mass of the two objects. However, the direction of the objects themselves may change due to external forces.

5. How does the direction of gravitational force affect the motion of objects?

The direction of gravitational force determines the direction of acceleration of objects. Objects will accelerate towards the center of mass of the other object, causing them to move towards each other.