UART & Data Rate: 8-bit vs. 32-bit

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Rate
In summary: I think you're both right, it's more of a theoretical question than anything else.In summary, the 32-bit UART is more tolerant of serial timing issues.
EvLer
Let's say you have a 8-bit and 32-bit uart (universal asynchr. receiver/transmitter), which one of them would you say would be more tolerant to the differences in the bata bit rate? in general...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by an 8-bit UART.. UARTs are serial transceivers.

- Warren

By 8-bit I mean that data byte is 8 bits, by 32 --- data "unit" is 32 bits.
I think it's an issue of when to sample, since the clock is much faster than the data line.

I don't see how the data width has anything to do with "tolerance" to the data rate.

I suppose you could argue that if the serial data rate slowed down by, say, 1 us per bit, an 8-bit word would only be "slowed down" by 8 us, while a 32-bit word would be "slowed down" by 32 us.

- Warren

ok, maybe a bad exam question... it was applied specifically to the transmitter, which did not make sense to me, that's why i asked ... thanks anyway ...

I don't know about the current generations, but UARTs used to come with a 1, 2 or 4 word receive data buffer.
Nit picking aside they were referred to as 8, 16 and 32 bit UARTs.
The 32 bit UART was more tolerant of interrupt timing when the stored data was transferred to system memory.

Perhaps the question referred to this.

Here is what I got after reading some various stuff on the internet...
UART timing is synchronized only to the start bit of the incoming data, so if the data is a bit too fast or too slow, UART might end up sampling on the data bit transitions, so actually 32 bit UART is less tolerant.

But... doesn't every byte have its own start bit, even in a "32-bit" UART?

- Warren

chroot said:
But... doesn't every byte have its own start bit, even in a "32-bit" UART?

- Warren

Yeah, 7- 8- (and 9-) bit frames are the only ones I'm aware of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232

I'm still confused by the OP's mention of 32-bit UARTs. All that I can think of is that he means the outside parallel interface to the UART -- different bus widths for different memory configurations and uCs. But I think you're correct, that the actual frames (start bit, stop bit, parity, etc.) are confined to basically one byte of data +/- 1 bit.

Those were my thoughts, berkeman -- that the "32-bit" moniker only refers to its external parallel interface -- and thus that it has no bearing at all on its tolerance to serial timing issues.

- Warren

ok, sorry if I confused anybody... in lab we did program an 8-bit UART. And this whole deal with 32 bit frame is a theoretical question that was intended to test our conceptual understanding of the UART and the fact that if we sample too soon or too early it has affect on the sampling of the following bits, i.e. one may land in the transition between bits rather than in the middle of the bit.

So, is it a trick question?

- Warren

yah... prof's "trick" question :rolleyes:
and seems like 32-bit UARTs don't even exist based on what you guys say...

What is UART?

UART stands for Universal Asynchronous Receiver-Transmitter, and it is a communication protocol commonly used for serial communication between devices.

What is the difference between 8-bit and 32-bit data rates in UART?

The data rate, also known as baud rate, refers to the speed at which data is transmitted between devices. In UART, 8-bit data rates transmit 8 bits of data at a time, while 32-bit data rates transmit 32 bits of data at a time. This means that 32-bit data rates have a higher capacity for data transmission.

Why would someone choose 8-bit data rates over 32-bit in UART?

There are a few reasons why someone may choose 8-bit data rates over 32-bit in UART. One reason is that 8-bit data rates are more commonly supported by devices. Additionally, 8-bit data rates may be more suitable for simpler or less data-intensive communication needs.

What are the advantages of using 32-bit data rates in UART?

Using 32-bit data rates in UART allows for faster and more efficient data transmission. This is especially beneficial for devices that require high-speed communication or deal with large amounts of data. 32-bit data rates also have a higher potential for error detection and correction.

Can 8-bit and 32-bit data rates be used together in UART?

No, 8-bit and 32-bit data rates cannot be used together in UART. Both devices communicating through UART must use the same data rate in order for successful communication to occur.