Transforming a Differential Equation: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter discoverer02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation is about converting a general solution to a differential into a more simplified form. The desired form is y = (x^(-2))[c+-((c^2) + x^5)^(1/2)]. The participants discuss using the quadratic formula to solve for y and realizing it is a simple conversion.
discoverer02
I need to put this general solution to a differential in the following form:

My solution is in the form (-x^3)(y^(-1)) + (x^2)y = C

It needs to be in the form y = (x^(-2))[c+-((c^2) + x^5)^(1/2)]

I've been noodling around with it for a while and it's not working out for me. Does anyone something I can factor out or multiply by that will put it into a friendlier form?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got:
[tex]\frac{-x^3}{y}+x^2y=C[/tex]
[tex]-x^3=Cy-x^2y^2[/tex]
Which is a quadratic equation in [tex]y[/tex].
[tex]x^2y^2-Cy-x^3=0[/tex]
Apply the quadratic formula, and you should get there.

Multiply through by y and you have a quadratic equation in the y variable.

cookiemonster

Thanks.

I should have seen this. It's a no brainer. Where was my brain last night?[zz)]

1. What is "The Devil's in the Algebra" about?

"The Devil's in the Algebra" is a scientific concept that suggests there may be hidden or unexpected factors at play in mathematical equations or calculations. It is often used to describe situations where the expected outcome does not match the actual outcome due to unseen variables.

2. Who coined the term "The Devil's in the Algebra"?

The term "The Devil's in the Algebra" is believed to have been coined by mathematician and physicist Sir Arthur Eddington in the early 20th century. However, the concept has been referenced and explored by many other scientists and mathematicians throughout history.

3. How does "The Devil's in the Algebra" apply to real-world situations?

The concept of "The Devil's in the Algebra" can be applied to many real-world situations, particularly in the fields of science, economics, and engineering. It highlights the need for careful consideration and analysis of all potential factors and variables in order to accurately predict outcomes and make informed decisions.

4. Is "The Devil's in the Algebra" a proven theory?

The concept of "The Devil's in the Algebra" is not a proven theory in the traditional sense, as it does not have a set of specific principles or laws. However, it is a widely accepted and recognized concept in the scientific community, and has been supported by various examples and experiments.

5. How can I avoid falling victim to "The Devil's in the Algebra"?

To avoid being misled by "The Devil's in the Algebra," it is important to carefully consider all potential variables and factors when making calculations or predictions. This may include consulting with other experts, conducting further research, or conducting experiments to test the accuracy of the equation or calculation.