Magnetic Simulation: Simulating Permanent Magnet Separator

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for software to simulate a permanent magnet separator and asking for suggestions on a forum. They ended up downloading an evaluation version of QuickField, which has limited features but good tutorials. However, the person then encountered a problem with the 2D model design and asked for recommendations on a 3D program. They were advised to check out other software packages mentioned in the forum, but have not yet tried them. They are now waiting for an evaluation version of Ansys Multiphysics, which is said to be the best choice for magnet force simulations in 3D.
samulon
I want to simulate a permanet magnets separator. I need to know the attraction force betwen the magnets and some materials like iron. I don´t know what software i have to use. Thank you for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's a thread where I got some suggestions on magnetic field simulation software:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=141331

I ended up downloading the evaluation version of QuickField:

http://www.quickfield.com/free_soft.htm

It has some pretty good intro/tutorial screen playbacks to get you going. The evaluation version is a bit limited in number of finite elements (256), but should work for you. Several of the other packages mentioned in the thread have evaluation or student versions.

Ok, it may works. Thank you.

I found a problem. The 2D model design doesn´t allow to create a real model. Do you know a 3D program?. Thank you one more time.

Did you check out the other software packages mentioned in the thread?

No i did´t try.
Now I am waiting for a evaluation version of Ansys Multiphysics. As i can read, is the best choice but I am not sure about the magnet forces simulations in 3D. In a days i´ll tell you how it works. Thak you very much for your help.

1. What is magnetic simulation and how is it used in simulating permanent magnet separators?

Magnetic simulation is the process of creating a virtual model of a magnetic system and analyzing its behavior using computer software. It is used in simulating permanent magnet separators by accurately predicting the performance and efficiency of these devices.

2. What are the benefits of using magnetic simulation in designing permanent magnet separators?

Using magnetic simulation in the design process of permanent magnet separators allows for a more cost-effective and time-efficient approach. It also ensures a more accurate design, reducing the need for physical prototypes. Additionally, it allows for the optimization of magnet placement and orientation for maximum performance.

3. How does magnetic simulation account for the non-uniformity of magnetic fields in permanent magnet separators?

Magnetic simulation software uses advanced algorithms to accurately model the non-uniformity of magnetic fields in permanent magnet separators. This is achieved by taking into account factors such as the shape and orientation of the magnets, as well as the surrounding materials and their magnetic properties.

4. Can magnetic simulation predict the strength of magnetic forces in a permanent magnet separator?

Yes, magnetic simulation can accurately predict the strength of magnetic forces in a permanent magnet separator. By modeling the magnetic fields and analyzing the interactions between the magnets and the surrounding materials, the software can calculate the magnitude and direction of magnetic forces at various points within the system.

5. Are there any limitations to magnetic simulation in simulating permanent magnet separators?

While magnetic simulation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. The accuracy of the simulation depends on the quality of the input data, such as the material properties and geometry of the system. Additionally, it may not be able to account for all real-world factors, such as temperature and mechanical stresses, which can affect the performance of a permanent magnet separator.