Getting a BS in Math or Physics: Advice for a UC Davis Freshman

In summary, the conversation revolves around the decision of whether to pursue a BS in math, physics, or both, in order to achieve the goal of studying quantum gravity and foundational issues in quantum mechanics. The individual is considering taking advanced math electives within a physics major or pursuing a double major in math and physics. They also discuss the importance of getting involved in research projects and seeking advice from professors in both departments.
pqnelson
All right, I'm a first year freshman at UC Davis, and I can graduate in three years with a BS in math, or five years with a BS in physics (taking a number of math courses), or possibly 6 years with a BS in math and in physics.

I want to go into quantum gravity and foundational issues in quantum mechanics, or something along those lines. It seems to me that it would be a good idea to go with math since that will be used extensively in quantum gravity (viz. Loop Quantum Gravity alone!) or foundational issues in quantum mechanics (e.g. Isham's topos in quantum theory).

But I was always told that I ought to get a good, solid foundation in physics from (well) physicists. Should I disregard their advice and go for the BS in math since it's faster? Or should I get a BS in math and physics? Or just physics?

Thanks for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've got about the same goals as you, and am still in undergrad. My plan is basically this:

major in physics, taking lots of advanced math electives (~10). Things like advanced analysis, a few algebra courses, lie groups, topology

I'm planning on doing a Masters in math after this, probably in mathematical physics, lie groups or something similar
After this, though it's quite far, I'd probably take a PhD back in a physics department

It seems to make sense to me. You don't really need a BS in math to do these, just get it in physics, and take as many math electives as you can, while still not being forced into some math requirements which would be useless for your field.

Another possibility might be to take the BS in math and take a lot of physics electives, but I don't quite like this one as much. Seems like you'd be missing a lot of stuff, things like electrodynamics, more advanced QM, courses on GR and so no.

A degree in physics would probably suit you more than a degree in math. A physics major with a math minor would probably be pretty good, or just do the double major. If you take 2 classes each summer you can save a lot of time (and money) getting the double major.

Regardless of the courses/major (also I lean also to a degree in physics with lots of math or a dual)... also try to get involved in an independent study project with a professor doing research in the area... this could be through the department of math or physics. It will make you more competitive for grad schools, give you hands on experience, and give you a personal advisor (with networks!) when it comes time to choose your next step after graduation.

pqnelson said:
All right, I'm a first year freshman at UC Davis, and I can graduate in three years with a BS in math, or five years with a BS in physics (taking a number of math courses), or possibly 6 years with a BS in math and in physics.

I want to go into quantum gravity and foundational issues in quantum mechanics, or something along those lines. It seems to me that it would be a good idea to go with math since that will be used extensively in quantum gravity (viz. Loop Quantum Gravity alone!) or foundational issues in quantum mechanics (e.g. Isham's topos in quantum theory).

Woo-hoo! I got my undergrad EE degree at UCD! Good school, and a fun place to live. We try to make it to Picnic Day every year.

What professors in the Physics and Math departments are involved in research that is closest to what you want to do? I'd recommend talking to them -- they'll probably each have a bias towards their own department of course, but at least you'll be able to talk over the issues involved in the two specialties versus combining them in a double major.

Best of luck! :biggrin:

1. What types of classes should I take as a freshman to prepare for a BS in Math or Physics?

As a freshman, it is important to take introductory courses in math and physics, such as calculus and introductory physics. These classes will provide a strong foundation for more advanced courses later on. Additionally, it is also beneficial to take classes in computer programming and statistics, as these skills are highly valued in the fields of math and physics.

2. How much time should I devote to studying as a freshman pursuing a BS in Math or Physics?

As a general rule, it is recommended to devote at least 2-3 hours of studying for every hour spent in class. This means that for a typical 3-unit class, you should plan to spend 6-9 hours studying outside of class. It's important to establish good study habits early on in your college career to be successful in a rigorous program like math or physics.

3. Are there any research opportunities for undergraduates in the Math or Physics departments at UC Davis?

Yes, there are many research opportunities for undergraduates in the Math and Physics departments at UC Davis. You can reach out to professors and graduate students to inquire about potential research projects, or participate in programs like the Undergraduate Research Center to find research opportunities.

4. What are some extracurricular activities I can participate in to enhance my experience as a Math or Physics major at UC Davis?

There are many extracurricular activities that can enhance your experience as a Math or Physics major at UC Davis. Joining clubs and organizations related to your field of study, such as the Math Club or Society of Physics Students, can provide opportunities for networking, learning, and participating in competitions. Additionally, attending seminars and workshops, volunteering at science fairs, and participating in undergraduate research can also enrich your experience.

5. Are there any resources available to help me succeed in my Math or Physics courses at UC Davis?

Yes, UC Davis offers many resources to help students succeed in their Math and Physics courses. The Math and Science Learning Center provides free tutoring and study groups, and the Physics Learning Center offers similar services specifically for physics courses. Additionally, the Student Academic Success Center offers workshops and study skills resources to help students excel in their courses.