Understanding Conductance and Resistance in Coaxial Cables

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a coaxial cable with inner and outer radii, and a material with conductivity between the conductors. The first question asks to determine the resistance for a one meter length of cable, which is given by R=1/(σ*pi*(b^2-a^2)). The second question asks for the conductance, which is given by G=σ*pi*(b^2-a^2). The third question asks for the conductance for a 100 [m] length cable, which is given by G=σ*pi*(b^2-a^2))/100. The fourth question is about the characterization of the cable and the use of conductance per unit length instead of resistance per
brad sue
Hi ,
I have this problem but I cannot figure out the last question.

A coaxial cable has an inner radius of a and an outer radius of b. between the two conductors is a material with conductivity σ.
1-Determine the resistance between the two conductors for a one meter length of cable.

R=1/(σ*pi*(b^2-a^2))

2- What would be the conductance G be?

G=σ*pi*(b^2-a^2)

3- What would be the conductance be for a 100 [m] length cable?
G=σ*pi*(b^2-a^2))/100

4-Explain why the cable is characterized by a conductance per unit of length (not a resistance per unit of length)

I have no sure answer for it.
I would say to avoid to have infinite resistance if a tends to b!??
Please can someone help me with this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never, ever heard of a coaxial cable characterized by its conductance per unit length. What is the source of this question? Transmission line media (especially coax cables) are characterized by their characteristic impedance Zo. Can you show the general equation for Zo = ?

There are only a couple places in EE where it is more convenient to use the conductance, and transmission line impedance is not one of them IMO.

I reall cannot answer you. the problem was asked as is.
I was as shoked as you are when I read the problem.
B

Have you been able to ask the prof or TA about this problem? I've been working in the industry for a fairly long time, including lots of time with transmissions lines of many different bandwidths, and haven't heard of conductance per unit length used for anything except for the extended terms in the Zo equation.

Again, can you write the general equation for Zo, and show where the conductance per unit length term shows up? That's the only related thing I can think of.

1. What is conductance?

Conductance is the measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity. It is the reciprocal of resistance and is measured in siemens (S).

2. How is conductance related to resistance?

Conductance and resistance are inversely related. This means that as conductance increases, resistance decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's law: G = 1/R.

3. How is conductance measured?

Conductance is typically measured using a device called a conductance meter, which applies a known voltage to a material and measures the resulting current. The conductance is then calculated using Ohm's law.

4. What factors affect conductance?

The conductance of a material is affected by its physical properties such as length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. It is also influenced by the type of material and the presence of impurities.

5. How is conductance different from conductivity?

Conductance is a measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity, while conductivity is a measure of how well a material conducts electricity. Conductivity takes into account the material's dimensions, while conductance does not.