Which is Better for Wireless Engineering: IIT Chicago or Stony Brook?

• Thread starter madhur84
  • Start date
In summary, Madhur got accepted into Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago and Stony Brook for the Electrical Engineering Program. He is very confused about which university to choose for his graduate studies and wants to know which has better research facilities and job placements. Financial aid for international students is limited.
madhur84
Hi,

I am from Bangalore. I have secured admissions in IIT, Chicago and Stony Brook for Electrical Engg Program, Fall '07. I am keen on Wireless as my area of focus. I am very confused as to which University to pick for my graduate staudies.

Also, I want to know which university has better research facilities and Job placements after finishing Masters ?
I am very confused in making my choice. How good are financial aids for international students ? Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Madhur

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you manage to secure admission in IIT even before the results are out?

I think he means the Illinois Inst. of Tech.

Oops, sorry, my mistake.

Yeah I mean ILLinois Institute of Technology, Chicago :)

madhur84 said:
Hi,

I am from Bangalore. I have secured admissions in IIT, Chicago and Stony Brook for Electrical Engg Program, Fall '07. I am keen on Wireless as my area of focus. I am very confused as to which University to pick for my graduate staudies.

Also, I want to know which university has better research facilities and Job placements after finishing Masters ?
I am very confused in making my choice. How good are financial aids for international students ? Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Madhur

Er.. how did you managed to get into Chicago for "Electrical Engineering Program"? As far as I know, U. of Chicago does NOT have any engineering program!

At the undergraduate level, there are either zero or very, very limited financial aids for international students. Note that to get a visa, you need to show the financial ability to support yourself and pay the tuition. University of Chicago isn't cheap.

There was a thread here discussing IIT. Please read

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=161995

Stony Brook is a top-notch school on Long Island, NY. It is also part of the State University of New York system, so the tuition isn't as high as Chicago and IIT, which are private schools.

Zz.

Last edited:
Illinois Institute of technology(IIT), Chicago does offer M.S in Electrical engg.

Website is www.iit.edu

madhur84 said:
Illinois Institute of technology(IIT), Chicago does offer M.S in Electrical engg.

Website is www.iit.edu

When I said "Chicago", I meant "University of Chicago". I think I may have misread your OP, because when you said "IIT, Chicago, and Stony Brook", I read that as "IIT, University of Chicago, and Stony Brook", because "Chicago" here often refers to the University of Chicago. That is why I asked how you got accepted in an engineering program there. Obviously, someone else also thought the same way the first time around.

So to confirm, you only got accepted at the Illinois Inst. of Technology, and Stony Brook, ya?

P.S. I know A LOT about IIT. If not, I wouldn't have been able to write in that thread I pointed out to you.

Zz.

Last edited:
yeah i got accepted in Illinois Institute of technology , Stony brook, Suny buffalo, University of Massachuesetts, Amherst to name a few. Because of cost crunch i decided out of University of Massachuesetts, Amherst !

Unless the costs have changed, I would say that both SUNY Buffalo and Stony Brook would be your best choices. I would put Stony Brook way ahead of most schools in the US. It has excellent facilities, well-known faculty members, a prestige on par with Ivy League schools, and it is part of the consortium that runs Brookhaven Lab for the DOE. Universities that have close ties with a US Nat'l Lab tend to have excellent programs and opportunities.

Zz.

Thanks a lot for the info. Can you tel me more abt IIT in chicago? I am little keen on that. The programs,the faculty, the course content, environment if you have any information on that matter ? I have heard from a frnd that Wireless program in Stony brook is supposedly 'very bad' !

1. What is the difference between IIT, Chicago and Stony Brook, NY?

IIT, Chicago and Stony Brook, NY are both well-regarded universities, but they have some key differences. IIT, Chicago is a private university with a focus on engineering and technology, while Stony Brook, NY is a public university with a broader range of academic programs. Additionally, IIT, Chicago is located in an urban setting, while Stony Brook, NY has a more suburban campus.

2. Which university has a better reputation for science and research?

Both IIT, Chicago and Stony Brook, NY have strong reputations for science and research. However, Stony Brook, NY is known for its top-ranked programs in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology, while IIT, Chicago is known for its cutting-edge research in engineering and technology.

3. How do the tuition costs compare between IIT, Chicago and Stony Brook, NY?

IIT, Chicago is a private university, so its tuition costs are generally higher than those of public universities like Stony Brook, NY. However, both universities offer financial aid and scholarships to help students cover the cost of tuition.

4. Which university has a more diverse student body?

Both IIT, Chicago and Stony Brook, NY have diverse student bodies, with students from a variety of backgrounds and cultures. However, Stony Brook, NY has a higher percentage of international students, making it a slightly more diverse campus.

5. Can I transfer between IIT, Chicago and Stony Brook, NY?

It is possible to transfer between IIT, Chicago and Stony Brook, NY, but it depends on individual circumstances and the specific programs and requirements of each university. It is recommended to speak with an academic advisor at both universities to determine the best course of action for transferring.