Finding the decoding transformation for a hamming code

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a matrix B for a linear transformation where the equation δ⋅γ(υ) = υ for all υ∈Z^4_2 must hold true. It is suggested to use the inverse of G, but since it is a non-square matrix, another solution must be found. The idea of creating a 4x7 matrix that, when multiplied with G, produces a 4x4 matrix is proposed. An example of such a matrix is given.
Icheb
I have the following linear transformation

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/3306/hammingcodeex4.gif

with G being a generating matrix for a hamming code and I have to find a matrix B so that the following:

[tex]\delta \cdot\gamma(\upsilon) = \upsilon[/tex] for all [tex]\upsilon \in Z^4_2[/tex]

is true for the transformation

[tex]\delta := \varphi_B: Z^7_2 \longrightarrow Z^4_2, c \longmapsto Bc[/tex]The way I understand this is that I have to reverse the initial transformation by finding the correct B. I figure it would be sufficient to invert G (since G * G^-1 * v = 1 * v = v and then B = G^-1), but how would that comply with the requirement that the first transformation goes from [tex]Z^4_2[/tex] to [tex]Z^7_2[/tex] and the second one goes the other way round?

If I can't just invert G, how would I go about this then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot take the inverse of non-square matrices. Let me think about this one a bit.

- Warren

I figure I'd have to "invent" a solution and then find a B that's based on that? I just have no idea how that would work.

Can you produce a 4x7 matrix so that the product with G is:
Code:
1 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 
0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Wouldn't the resulting matrix be of type 4x4?

Here's what I found for that scenario:

Code:
1 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0 0 0
1 0 0 0 0 0 0

1. What is a decoding transformation for a Hamming code?

A decoding transformation for a Hamming code is a mathematical process used to correct errors in a message that has been encoded using a Hamming code. It involves applying a series of operations to the received code word to determine the original message.

2. How does the decoding transformation work?

The decoding transformation for a Hamming code works by comparing the received code word to a set of check bits that are generated during the encoding process. By identifying which check bits do not match, the decoding transformation can determine which bit(s) in the code word contain an error and correct them accordingly.

3. What is the purpose of a Hamming code?

The purpose of a Hamming code is to detect and correct errors that may occur during the transmission of a message. It does this by adding extra bits, known as check bits, to the original message. These check bits allow for the detection and correction of single-bit errors within the message.

4. How do you find the decoding transformation for a Hamming code?

To find the decoding transformation for a Hamming code, you need to first determine the number of check bits that were added to the original message. Then, using a set of predetermined mathematical operations, you can compare the received code word to the check bits to identify and correct any errors.

5. Can the decoding transformation always correct errors in a Hamming code?

No, the decoding transformation for a Hamming code can only correct single-bit errors. If more than one bit in the code word is incorrect, the decoding transformation may not be able to determine the original message and correct the errors. It also cannot correct errors in the check bits themselves.