Wireless network securtiy

In summary, the individual has disabled network security due to issues with Linksys software. They are currently using MAC address filtering, but it is not a guaranteed way to keep people out. It is recommended to also use WEP or WPA-PSK authentication for added security. The individual has been struggling with the Linksys software and it is advised to uninstall it and just use the built-in wireless network configuration utilities in their operating system.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Due to an ongoing battle with linksys software I have disabled network security, currently I have restricted access to allow only the MAC address of my laptop.
Is this enough? Or should I also have WEP or WAP authentication?

Computer science news on Phys.org
MAC addresses are spoofable so it's not a guaranteed way to keep people out. WEP is pretty crackable. I use WPA-PSK on my wireless AP. Still not the greatest, but I use it along with MAC address filtering and disable SSID broadcasting.

In other words, someone could reprogram their laptop to use your connection when you aren't there. And when you are connected someone can 'overhear' the data you are sending to the web, even if they aren't connected.

Is this likely? Possibly if you are in a university hall, unlikely if you are out in the suburbs. You can also disable the SSID transmission on the router and change it from 'LINKSYS' to something random so other people cannot see it unless they know the name.

Thanks for the input, looks like I should keep figthing with the Linksys software. I have shut it off in the startup menu, seems to work best when it is not running!

A hint, Integral: You do not need any kind of third-party software installed on your computer to use any router. It's almost assuredly garbage! Uninstall the Linksys software and just use the built-in wireless network configuration utilities built into your operating system.

- Warren

Seonded (and thirded) - I thought you meant fighting with the Linksys software INSIDE the router.

chroot said:
A hint, Integral: You do not need any kind of third-party software installed on your computer to use any router. It's almost assuredly garbage! Uninstall the Linksys software and just use the built-in wireless network configuration utilities built into your operating system.

- Warren

Absolutely, I have already uninstalled the software once, unfortunately, they seem to have tied the software and driver install together, it is not clear to me how to install the drivers without the "linksys Adviser" software. (this is for the wireless adapter not the router. Currently I have disabled the software in the startup menu so it should not startup every time I restart the computer. As long as windows handles the authentication it seems to work fine.

Silly me, I figured a linksys router talking to a linksys wireless adapter ought to work fine. :grumpy: It has been nothing but trouble from the day I installed it. Meanwhile a second laptop with a built in wireless adapter logged on quickly and easily. :rolleyes:

What you can try is the following:
Uninstall ALL Linksys software and drivers related to your wireless card and restart the computer. Under Control Panel, go to System, click Device Manager, and look for your wireless adapter (it should be inoperable at the moment). View the item's properties and click the Driver tab. Click Update driver. Insert your Linksys wireless card driver CD at this point. You can then search for the .INF and/or .SYS file (whichever is asked for) on your driver CD, which will be installed directly without using the associated Linksys software.

As Warren already said, Windows has its own connectivity software built into manage wireless connections, so all you need is the driver to communicate with your card. The Linksys software is just a program to help you connect to networks and is unnecessary.

Let us know the results. You should not have to use your Linksys software.

What is a wireless network security?

A wireless network security is a set of measures and protocols used to protect wireless networks from unauthorized access, attacks, and data theft. It involves implementing various security techniques to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of a wireless network.

What are the common types of wireless network security?

The common types of wireless network security include WEP, WPA, WPA2, and WPA3. WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) is the most basic form of wireless security and is no longer considered secure. WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) and WPA2 are more advanced and secure protocols, while WPA3 is the latest and most secure wireless security protocol.

What are the potential threats to wireless networks?

The potential threats to wireless networks include eavesdropping, data theft, unauthorized access, and denial of service attacks. These threats can compromise the security and privacy of a wireless network, leading to data breaches and loss of sensitive information.

How can I secure my wireless network?

There are several steps you can take to secure your wireless network, including using strong and unique passwords, disabling SSID broadcasting, enabling network encryption, and implementing network access control. It is also important to regularly update your wireless network's firmware and use a firewall to protect against external threats.

What are the best practices for wireless network security?

The best practices for wireless network security include regularly updating firmware and software, using strong and unique passwords, limiting access to the network, monitoring network activity, and regularly conducting security audits. It is also important to educate users about safe browsing habits and how to identify potential threats.