Deriving classical potentials from tree diagrams

In summary, Sakurai recommends using the ICT notation, and then using the Fourier transform to construct an effective 3-dim potential.
A/4
I'm looking for a good book for graduate students that indicates how one can obtain a (classical) potential from a tree-level Feynman process. For example, how can one go from the S-matrix of e.g. Compton scattering and derive the Coulomb potential. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A/4 said:
I'm looking for a good book for graduate students that indicates how one can obtain a (classical) potential from a tree-level Feynman process. For example, how can one go from the S-matrix of e.g. Compton scattering and derive the Coulomb potential. Any help would be appreciated.

I can recommend section 83 in

V. B. Berestetskii, E. M. Livs h itz, L. P. Pitaevskii, "Quantum electrodynamics"

where they derived the Breit potential (Coulomb+ magnetic + spin-orbit + spin-spin) of the electron-positron interaction from the 2nd order S-matrix element of the electron-positron scattering.

The Compton scattering S-matrix elements would yield the electron-photon potential. I have never seen such a derivation.

Eugene.

By the way, one can build a "classical" potential representation of QFT beyond the tree level, i.e., including loops etc. In this case, particle-number-changing potentials should be allowed as well. Then in addition to the Coulomb and electron-photons potentials one can get "potentials" for annihilation, bremsstrahlung, etc. This is the idea of the "dressed particle" approach, which also provides a consistent way of dealing with divergences. You can find more info in

O. W. Greenberg, S. S. Schweber, "Clothed particle operators in simple models of quantum field theory" Nuovo Cim. 8 (1958), 378

A. V. Shebeko, M. I. Shirokov, "Unitary transformations in quantum field theory and bound states" Phys. Part. Nucl. 32 (2001), 15; http://www.arxiv.org/abs/nucl-th/0102037

E. V. Stefanovich, "Relativistic quantum dynamics" http://www.arxiv.org/abs/physics/0504062.

Eugene.

Perhaps some of the books of Sakurai, too?

For tree level, most books should have it under the topic, or the keyword index, of Born Transformation.

It should be interesting if someone can name a textbook containing examples both for spin 1, spin 0, and spin 2 forces. Or at least for spin 1 and spin 0 forces.

arivero said:
Perhaps some of the books of Sakurai, too?

For tree level, most books should have it under the topic, or the keyword index, of Born Transformation.

It should be interesting if someone can name a textbook containing examples both for spin 1, spin 0, and spin 2 forces. Or at least for spin 1 and spin 0 forces.

but Sakurai uses that old [tex]ict[/tex] notation (so if you don't like it, like me these days, try Mandl & Shaw, Peskin & schroeder, see also Merzbacher, Quantum Mechanics)

according to Sakurai, to construct an effective 3-dim potential, once you know the non-relativistic limit of your covariant matrix element (the M-matrix), just Fourier Transform the lowest-order (ie. tree-level) M-matrix element. Something like:
[tex]V=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^3}\int\, \mathcal{M}_{i\rightarrow f} \;e^{i\vec p \cdot \vec x} d^3 p[/tex]

Last edited:

1. How do tree diagrams help in deriving classical potentials?

Tree diagrams provide a visual representation of the interactions between particles in a system, which can then be used to derive classical potentials.

2. What is the process of deriving classical potentials from tree diagrams?

The process involves identifying the relevant particles and their interactions, calculating the potential energy of each interaction, and combining them to obtain the overall classical potential.

3. Can tree diagrams be used to derive classical potentials for any system?

Yes, tree diagrams can be used for any system with interacting particles, as long as the interactions can be represented by simple mathematical functions.

4. Are there any limitations to using tree diagrams for deriving classical potentials?

One limitation is that tree diagrams may become increasingly complex for systems with a large number of particles and interactions, making the calculations more difficult.

5. How accurate are the classical potentials derived from tree diagrams?

The accuracy of the derived potentials depends on the accuracy of the interactions and the assumptions made in the calculations. In some cases, quantum mechanics may be needed for more accurate potentials.