Sketch Graph f(x)=x^3 + 1/x | Math Homework Help

• Thread starter physstudent1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch the graph of a function and find stationary points using derivatives. It suggests creating a table of values and finding the first derivative to determine whether a point is a maximum or minimum. It also mentions checking the behavior of the function at infinity and zero.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

Sketch the graph of f(x)=x^3 + 1/x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I could think of doing this was by creating a table of values which I did, my graph came out decently close to the real thing (checked on graphing calculator), we did not learn how to use derivatives to find the increasing and decreasing part so how else would I go about doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well at a stationary point...the first derivative is zero i.e. f'(x)=0.

That will allow you find any stationary point...to find whether it is maximum or minimum points

say you got [tex](x_1,f(x_1))[/tex] as a stationary point then you'd find [tex]f''(x_1)[/tex] and if it is +ve then that point is a min. but if it was -ve then it is a max.

also you should check what happens as [tex]x\rightarrow \pm\infty,0[/tex]

thanks

1. What is the equation for the given graph?

The equation for the given graph is f(x)=x^3 + 1/x.

2. How do you sketch the graph of f(x)=x^3 + 1/x?

To sketch the graph of f(x)=x^3 + 1/x, you can first make a table of values by choosing different values for x and calculating corresponding values for f(x). Then, plot these points on a graph and connect them to create a smooth curve.

3. What is the domain of the function f(x)=x^3 + 1/x?

The domain of f(x)=x^3 + 1/x is all real numbers except for x=0, since division by 0 is undefined.

4. What is the range of the function f(x)=x^3 + 1/x?

The range of f(x)=x^3 + 1/x is all real numbers except for y=0, since the function will never output 0.

5. How can you tell if a point is on the graph of f(x)=x^3 + 1/x?

To determine if a point (x,y) is on the graph of f(x)=x^3 + 1/x, you can substitute the x-value into the equation and see if it equals the y-value. If it does, then the point is on the graph. Additionally, the graph of this function is a smooth curve, so if the point does not lie on this curve, it is not on the graph.