Trying to determine domain of f(t)=4.5e^t

• Thread starter poohbear1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of domain in relation to a specific function, f(t)=4.5e^t where e is 2.1783. The participants mention two golden rules for real functions, which are not dividing by 0 and not taking the square root of a negative number. Based on these rules, it is determined that the domain for this function is all real numbers. The conversation also briefly touches on the law of negative exponents and its application in determining the domain. Finally, there is a mention of the difference between domain and range, with the conclusion that the range of this function is all positive real numbers.
poohbear1986
heres a question I am trying to figure out if this equations domain
f(t)=4.5e^t where e is 2.1783

im thinking that the answer is all positve numbers. because it can't equal zero so all negative numbers cause it to be 0

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I used to think of domains like this (pre-calculus).

The Domain of a function are the numbers that you are allowed to plug in for your variable (in your case 't').

There are 2 golden rules that you can not break with real functions.

You can not divide by 0.

You can not take the square root of a negative number.

If you do either of these two things you are no longer dealing with real numbers.

So, in your function, are you breaking either of these two rules? If not, then your domain is all real numbers. If you find numbers that break either of those two rules, then your domain is all real numbers, except those numbers which break the rules.

so i can have a negative exponet, and it all still will be real numbers

Yes because the law of negative exponents states:

[tex]a^{-1} = \frac{1}{a}[/tex]

thank you i apprecite the help immensely

I don't think you have said enough. If I replaced e by pi, then the domain is not so obvious: raising numbers to irrational powers can only be done by saying x^n=exp(n logx). (exp(y)is e^y)

Your reasoning is therefore only going to be circular unless you use the power series definition of e^x.

It looks like you are confusing "domain" with "range". "Domain" is the set of possible x-values while "range" is the set of y-values. You are certainly correct that e to any power is positive and so the range of this function is "all positive real numbers".

SnipedYou said:
Yes because the law of negative exponents states:

[tex]a^{-1} = \frac{1}{a}[/tex]

More generally,

[tex] a^{-n} = \frac{1}{a^{n}}[/tex]

1. What is the domain of f(t)?

The domain of f(t) is the set of all possible input values for the function. In this case, since t is the independent variable, the domain is all real numbers.

2. How do I determine the domain of f(t)?

To determine the domain of f(t), you need to consider any restrictions on the independent variable t. In this case, there are no restrictions, so the domain is all real numbers.

3. Can the domain of f(t) be negative?

Yes, the domain of f(t) can include negative numbers, as long as they are real numbers. The domain is not limited to only positive numbers.

4. Is there a maximum or minimum value for the domain of f(t)?

No, there is no maximum or minimum value for the domain of f(t). As long as the input values are real numbers, they are included in the domain.

5. What happens if I use an input value that is not in the domain of f(t)?

If you use an input value that is not in the domain of f(t), the function will not be defined and you will not get a meaningful output. It is important to stay within the domain when using a function to ensure accurate results.