Magnetic forces between parallel wires

In summary, the formula for finding the force magnitude on the first, second, and third wires in the figure is (μ0L I1 I2)/(2πd), where μ0 = 1.2566*10-6. Make sure to convert all measurements to meters and take into account the direction of the current, as like currents attract and opposite currents repel. In this case, the force in the second wire is zero, so the resultant force can be found by calculating the force of attraction between wires 1 and 3.
aliaze1

Homework Statement

What is the force magnitude on the first, second, and third wires in the figure?

knight_Figure_32_38.jpg

Homework Equations

0L I1 I2)/(2πd)

μ0 = 1.2566*10-6

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting 0.5 as L, 0.02 as d and 10 as I1 and I2 I get 5*10-4,
which comes up as incorrect...what am I doing wrong?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
well if you did some more about current carrying conductors.
you may come across the formula

[tex]F=\frac{\mu I_1 I_2 l}{2 \pi d}[/tex]

but are you sure you converted cm to m?

yea that us the formula i used...and i converted everything...the numbers i put in post 1 are the numbers i used for d and L respectivly

What is the correct answer? well...you would have to find the resultant force on wires 1 and 3...

idk the correct answer...

and since the wires are the same, wouldn't some cancel each other out? (due to the direction of the current)

well the force in the second wire zero

yes the force in the 2nd wire is zero, so you should have to only find the force of attraction of wires 1 and 3...

EDIT: thing to remember...like currents attract, opposite repel

Last edited:
So the just say that the first wire was going in the opposite direction to the other 2 wires... How would u calculate the force acting on wire 1 due to wire 2 (and wire 2 was going the opposite direction) and 3 ?

1<---
2 --->
3 --->

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic force between parallel wires?

The formula for calculating the magnetic force between parallel wires is F = (μ0 x I1 x I2 x L) / (2π x d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between them.

2. How do the currents in the two wires affect the magnetic force between them?

The magnetic force between parallel wires is directly proportional to the product of the two currents. This means that as the currents increase, the magnetic force also increases.

3. Can the magnetic force between parallel wires be attractive or repulsive?

The magnetic force between parallel wires can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the direction of the currents. If the currents are in the same direction, the force will be attractive, whereas if the currents are in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

4. How does the distance between the wires affect the magnetic force?

The magnetic force between parallel wires is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

5. Can the magnetic force between parallel wires be turned off or on?

The magnetic force between parallel wires is always present as long as there are currents flowing through the wires. To turn off the force, the currents must be turned off. To turn on the force, the currents must be turned on.