Calculating Area of Sector in Shaded Part of Diagram

• Thread starter garyadamson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of the shaded part of a diagram using trigonometry. The person asking the question has figured out that they need to find the area of the triangle and subtract it from the sector, but they are unsure of how to find the area of the sector. The other person suggests using the formula for the area of a circle and then finding the fraction of that area included in the sector. They also mention using trigonometry to find the angle X, either by using the law of cosines or breaking the triangle into two right-triangles. The conversation ends with the question of whether the area of the triangle is 27cm.
garyadamson
Sans titre-1.gif

I am trying to work out the area of the shaded part of the diagram. I've figured that If I was to work out the area of the triangle (27cm) and take it away from the sector, I'd have the area of the shaded bit.

I'm guessing that I'd have to use trigonometory to find the area of the sector, I really have no idea how to do this, and would appreciate some help. Thankyou

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track.

You know the area of the entire circle; it's pi times the radius squared.

You also know what fraction of that area is included in the sector; it's x/360, where x is in degrees.

- Warren

Last edited:
Thanks for your help
But how would I work out the size of angle X. Would cos, sin or tan have to be used?

You know all three sides -- use the law of cosines to find the angles.

- Warren

Less elegantly, you can break the triangle into two congruent right-triangles... then apply trigonometry with a right-triangle.

Are you sure that the area of the triangle is 27cm?

What is the formula for calculating the area of a sector?

The formula for calculating the area of a sector is (θ/360) x πr², where θ is the central angle of the sector and r is the radius of the circle.

How do you determine the central angle of a sector in a shaded diagram?

The central angle of a sector can be determined by dividing the angle of the shaded region by the total angle of the circle (360 degrees) and multiplying it by 360.

What units should be used when calculating the area of a sector?

The units for the radius should match the units of the area, whether it is in square inches, square feet, or square meters.

Can the formula for calculating the area of a sector be used for any shape?

No, the formula for calculating the area of a sector is only applicable for circular sectors. For other shapes, different formulas would need to be used.

Are there any limitations to using the area of a sector formula?

Yes, the formula assumes that the sector is a perfect circle and that the central angle is measured in degrees. It may not be accurate for irregular or non-circular shapes.