Calculating Work from a Force-Time Graph

In summary, the conversation is about finding work using a force-time graph in physics problems. The question is whether it is possible to find work using only a force-time graph and the answer is yes, by using the impulse approximation. This approximation allows for the calculation of work done or distance traveled by a force over a given period of time. However, there is some confusion about the connection between the graph and work/distance, but one of the questions provides more information about a railway engine and its force-time graph. Ultimately, the original poster was able to find the answer with the help of others in the conversation.
aham925925
Hi everybody,

I was given a set of physics problems and some of them ask us to find work. The problem is, we are given a force-time graph as opposed to a force-distance graph. My question was whether there was a way of finding work done using a force-time graph. I don't see how it could be done and i haven't found anywhere where you can do it but I have a feeling it can be done.

Does anyone know? Please reply either if it can or can't be done...

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Not if the force and dt are the only info given...

Sry, ignore my last post. Yes, you can.

Sorry, how can you find it out?

I tryed the area under the graph but that doesn't work

Sorry, how can you find it out?

I tried the area under the graph but that doesn't work

What kind of force-time graphs are they? I'm guessing they're impulse graphs (large force over relatively short period of time); if so, you can assume the impulse approximation. What does this tell you about the work done (or more precisely, the distance traveled due to a force)?

Yes, they are graphs with large forces over small amounts of time.

I'm sorry but I can't see the connection between this graph and work and/or distance.

If it helps, one of the questions talks about a railway engine of x mass moving from rest along a straight track. It then gives you the force-time graph.

It's ok now...I've figured out the answer

Thanks everyone for your help

Hi,

I have the same question as you. How did you find the work done using force - time graph?? Thanks.

1. What is a force-time graph?

A force-time graph is a visual representation of how the force acting on an object changes over time. It plots the force on the y-axis and time on the x-axis, and the slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration.

2. How do you interpret a force-time graph?

The slope of a force-time graph represents the object's acceleration. A steep slope indicates a large acceleration, while a gentle slope indicates a smaller acceleration. The area under the graph represents the impulse, which is equal to the change in momentum of the object.

3. What is the relationship between force and time on a force-time graph?

The relationship between force and time on a force-time graph is directly proportional. This means that as the force increases, the time also increases, and vice versa.

4. How do you calculate the area under a force-time graph?

The area under a force-time graph can be calculated by finding the area of each individual rectangle or triangle within the graph and then adding them together. The units for the area will be Newton-seconds (N*s), which is equivalent to the unit for impulse.

5. What can a force-time graph tell us about an object's motion?

A force-time graph can tell us about an object's acceleration, impulse, and change in momentum. It can also help us analyze an object's motion and determine whether it is moving at a constant speed, accelerating, or experiencing a change in direction.