Ln(x) rotated around the x-axis [1,4] Find Volume

• Thread starter natemac42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the task is to find the volume of the object created by rotating the function ln(x) around the x-axis on the interval [1,4]. This can be solved by breaking the object into small parts and finding the area of each slab, which is given by dV = \pi(ln|x|)^2 dx. After integration, the volume is approximately 6.1187 units^3. However, the correct answer may be closer to 10.518 or 5.989, which were obtained by approximating the volume using cylinders. One possible method is to let u = ln(x) and then proceed with the integration.
natemac42

Homework Statement

The function ln(x) is rotated around the x-axis on the interval [1,4].

Homework Equations

Find the volume of the figure using integration.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\int _{1}^{4} (.75) ln(x)^{2} dx[/tex]

= [tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\int _{1}^{4} [3(ln(x))^{2}]/4 [/tex]

sorry I'm bad at typing these things in

anyway solving that I got 6.1187 units^3 and I don't think it's the correct answer, but I'm not sure.

I approximated the volume using cylinders and got 10.518 for circumscribed and 5.989 for inscribed.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
try letting

u=lnx and then go from there

We can solve this by breaking the object created by breaking it into small parts. Since we're rotating the function around an axis we'll get a cylindrical-ish object. So we can find the area of a slab of the object by multiplying the area by an infinitely small width (dx).

So an infinitely small piece of the solid is the area by the width:

[tex]dV = \pi*r^2 dx[/tex]

One problem though. The radius of these slabs is constantly changing according to ln(x)

[tex]dV = \pi(ln|x|)^2 dx[/tex]

[tex]V = \int _{1}^{4} \pi(ln|x|)^2 dx[/tex] is what I'm getting?

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a shape rotated around the x-axis?

The formula for finding the volume of a shape rotated around the x-axis is V = π∫ab (f(x))2 dx, where a and b are the bounds of the interval and f(x) is the function representing the shape.

2. How do you find the bounds of the interval for a shape rotated around the x-axis?

The bounds of the interval for a shape rotated around the x-axis are determined by the given range of values for x. In this case, the interval is given as [1,4], so those are the bounds that will be used in the formula.

3. What is the difference between rotated and revolved volume?

Rotated volume refers to the volume of a shape when it is rotated around an axis, while revolved volume refers to the volume of a shape when it is rotated around a point. Rotated volume can be found using the formula mentioned in question 1, while revolved volume is found using the formula V = π∫ab (f(x))2 dx + πR2h, where R is the distance from the axis of rotation to the shape and h is the height of the shape.

4. Can the formula for finding volume be applied to all shapes?

No, the formula for finding volume can only be applied to shapes with a known function that can be rotated around an axis. This includes shapes such as circles, squares, and triangles, but not irregular or complex shapes.

5. How does changing the bounds of the interval affect the volume?

Changing the bounds of the interval, or the range of values for x, will affect the resulting volume by changing the overall size and shape of the rotated shape. A wider range of values will result in a larger volume, while a smaller range of values will result in a smaller volume.