Boiler and Pressure Vessel certification

In summary, you need to have a design that has been verified by an inspector, and then secure a serial number for the vessel.
jaap de vries
I would like to know what steps I need to take to become a certified pressure vessel designer builder and user. I searched the ASME website pretty extensively and there are a bunch of courses offered but it is hard to find anything specific on becoming certified.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi jaap,
I’m not the most expert on this, but I suppose if no one else answers I’ll take a shot at this.

A person or individual is not certified to design pressure vessels as far as I know. This is something only a design and manufacturing organization (business) is certified to do. ASME itself doesn’t certify any person or company. An engineer working for a pressure vessel manufacturer can’t simply design and build a vessel on their own because it’s not the individual who possesses the certification (also known as a “stamp”). Similarly, an engineer who starts working for a company that manufactures pressure vessels doesn’t need to obtain any special certification since it is the company he/she works for that is authorized to ‘stamp’ a vessel.

ASME only creates the specification on how to design pressure vessels, also known as Boiler and Pressure Vessel (BPV) Code. There are 2 main codes, Division 1 and Division 2. Most manufacturers use Div 1 because it is the easiest to work with. Div 2 is mostly used for very high pressure vessels and mass produced vessels.

If a manufacturer can design and assemble a vessel per ASME BPV Code, and if they want to certify that the vessel has been designed and built per the code, the manufacturer has to request certification from the National Board. Here’s the link to their web site:
https://www.nationalboard.org/NationalBoard/Default.aspx

The National Board is the organization a company has to go through for certification, though I’ve never been directly involved with it so I can’t tell you for sure what all the steps are in obtaining a stamp. When a vessel is built however, the National Board will send an inspector to site to verify all the documentation for the design, assembly, pressure testing and inspection of the vessel has been properly performed. Only then does the manufacturer get to apply the stamp and secure a serial number for the vessel.

If you need more, I could ask around where I work or talk to some of our vessel suppliers. Take a look at the National Board website and see what you find. If you can report back on what you find, that would be nice too so that others can benefit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goest,

I really appreciate it it is sometimes a bit confusing and my motto is that if I can't "google" the answer within an hour I give it a shot here and I know you have answered related questions in the past.

From an industries perspective, there does not seem to be allot of talk around these neck of the woods with regards to coding, standards, etc.
Might be an idea for a new topic under engineering. Anyhow, it all makes a bit more sense now.

I am sure the certification request comes at a price. Let me take a look at what this board says over the weekend.

1. What is a boiler and pressure vessel certification?

A boiler and pressure vessel certification is a document that verifies that a particular boiler or pressure vessel has been manufactured and inspected to meet certain safety standards set by the industry and government regulations. This certification ensures that the equipment is safe to operate and can withstand the intended pressure and temperature levels.

2. Who needs a boiler and pressure vessel certification?

Anyone who owns or operates a boiler or pressure vessel is required to have a certification. This includes industries such as manufacturing, power plants, hospitals, and commercial buildings that use boilers or pressure vessels for heating, cooling, or other purposes.

3. How is a boiler and pressure vessel certification obtained?

A certification is obtained by having the equipment inspected by a qualified and certified inspector. The inspector will conduct various tests and inspections to ensure that the equipment meets all safety standards. Once the equipment passes the inspection, a certification is issued.

4. How long is a boiler and pressure vessel certification valid?

The validity of a certification varies depending on the jurisdiction and regulations. In most cases, a certification is valid for 1-3 years. However, it is recommended to have the equipment inspected regularly to ensure it continues to meet safety standards.

5. What are the consequences of not having a boiler and pressure vessel certification?

Operating a boiler or pressure vessel without a certification can result in serious consequences, including fines, penalties, and even legal action. In addition, it poses a safety risk to those using the equipment and can lead to accidents and injuries. It is important to have a valid certification to ensure the safety of both the equipment and the people operating it.