Calculating Fugacity of Freon-12 at 82.2C, 9.65bar

• Thread starter tabasko
  • Start date
In summary, the fugacity of Freon-12 at 82.2C and 9.65bar can be calculated using the Peng-Robinson equation of state, which takes into account temperature, pressure, and the critical properties of the gas. The resulting fugacity coefficient can then be used to determine the deviation of the gas from its ideal state and its potential to escape from the liquid phase. This calculation is important in various industries, such as refrigeration and air conditioning, where Freon-12 is commonly used as a refrigerant.
tabasko
I need to find the fugacity of freon-12 (Dichlorodifluoromethane) at 82.2C and 9.65bar, using a method that does not require critical data. I'm assuming we can find any other information to solve the problem, but I not sure where to start..

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suspect you should be able to find everything you need using the following website- http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/fluid/" , and the approximate calculation for fugacity.

[tex]\textsl{f}\approx\frac{P^2\overline{V}}{RT}[/tex]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugacity

Last edited by a moderator:
Those values are for liquids, and in my problem, we have a gas!

1. What is fugacity and why is it important to calculate for Freon-12?

Fugacity is a measure of the tendency of a gas to escape or leave a mixture. It is important to calculate for Freon-12 because it helps us understand how this gas behaves under specific conditions, such as temperature and pressure.

2. How is fugacity of Freon-12 calculated at 82.2C and 9.65bar?

The fugacity of Freon-12 can be calculated using the Antoine equation, which takes into account the temperature and pressure of the gas. The equation is ln(fugacity) = A - (B/C + T), where A, B, and C are constants specific to Freon-12 and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What units are used for fugacity of Freon-12?

Fugacity is typically expressed in units of pressure, such as bar or pascal. In this case, the fugacity of Freon-12 at 82.2C and 9.65bar would be expressed in bar.

4. How does the fugacity of Freon-12 at 82.2C and 9.65bar compare to other temperatures and pressures?

The fugacity of Freon-12 will vary depending on the temperature and pressure. At higher temperatures and pressures, the fugacity will be higher, indicating a greater tendency for the gas to escape. At lower temperatures and pressures, the fugacity will be lower, indicating a lower tendency for the gas to escape.

5. What is the significance of calculating fugacity for Freon-12 in terms of its environmental impact?

Calculating fugacity for Freon-12 can help us understand how this gas behaves in the environment and how it may contribute to issues such as ozone depletion. By understanding the fugacity of Freon-12, we can better manage and regulate its use to minimize its impact on the environment.