Charging a capacitor with a switch

In summary, when the switch is still open in a circuit with a battery, one plate of a parallel plate capacitor, and the other plate connected to the negative terminal, there is still a flow of charge due to the electric potential between the negative terminal and one of the plates. However, the capacitance across the open switch is in series with the real capacitor and dominates, resulting in very little charge being stored by the voltage source.
Seiken
If you have the positive terminal of a battery connect to a switch then to one plate of a parallel plate capacitor and the negative terminal connected to the other plate, what happens when the switch is still open? Does charge build up on the bottom plate of the capacitor only or does nothing happen? There is an electric potential between the negative terminal and one of the plates so charge should still flow in my opinion even if there is a switch on the opposite side of the circuit. Could someone please clarify this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think charge can flow upto the point where the switch is connected. After that there is no conducting path for flowing of the charge. But Imn't sure of it.

Seiken said:
If you have the positive terminal of a battery connect to a switch then to one plate of a parallel plate capacitor and the negative terminal connected to the other plate, what happens when the switch is still open? Does charge build up on the bottom plate of the capacitor only or does nothing happen? There is an electric potential between the negative terminal and one of the plates so charge should still flow in my opinion even if there is a switch on the opposite side of the circuit. Could someone please clarify this for me?

Welcome to the PF, Seiken. I moved your question to the Homework Help forums, where we have homework and coursework type questions.

In answer to your question, Q=CV still, even with the switch open, but the C capacitance is the capacitance across the open switch, in series with the real capacitor. And capacitances in series add through the inverse formula, so the small capacitance across the open switch dominates. That means that there is very little charge stored by the voltage source, since it is just storing charge across the switch's very small capacitance.

Make sense?

1. How does charging a capacitor with a switch work?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source through a switch, the capacitor begins to accumulate charge on its plates. This is because the switch allows a flow of electrons from the power source to the capacitor, creating a potential difference between the plates. As more charge accumulates, the voltage across the capacitor increases.

2. What happens to the capacitor when the switch is closed?

When the switch is closed, the capacitor begins to charge as explained in the previous answer. However, the rate at which the capacitor charges depends on the capacitance, resistance, and voltage of the circuit.

3. How long does it take to charge a capacitor with a switch?

The time it takes to charge a capacitor with a switch is determined by the RC time constant, where R is the resistance and C is the capacitance of the circuit. The formula for calculating the time constant is T = RC. This means that the larger the capacitance or resistance, the longer it will take to charge the capacitor.

4. Can a capacitor be overcharged with a switch?

Yes, a capacitor can be overcharged if the voltage across its plates exceeds its maximum voltage rating. This can cause the capacitor to fail or even explode. It is important to use a switch and circuit components that are appropriate for the voltage and capacitance of the capacitor being used.

5. How do you discharge a capacitor charged with a switch?

To discharge a capacitor charged with a switch, the switch must be opened to disconnect the capacitor from the power source. The capacitor will then release its stored charge through the circuit, causing the voltage across its plates to decrease. It is important to handle discharged capacitors with caution as they can still hold a residual charge.