Is a Minor in Mathematics Worth Pursuing for Non-Math Major Students?

• Programs
  • Thread starter bjgawp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor
In summary, the conversation discusses the value of pursuing a minor in mathematics for a student interested in pharmacy. The requirements for a mathematics minor are outlined and it is suggested that a minor in biology or biochemistry may be more beneficial for job prospects. The idea of pursuing a minor in both mathematics and chemistry is also mentioned. The potential benefits of taking more advanced math courses, such as real analysis and modern algebra, are discussed as well as the overall value of pursuing a minor in a related field. The conversation concludes with the idea that taking these courses can provide valuable problem solving experience and increase confidence in future challenges.
bjgawp
I was wondering what the general purpose of having a minor would be. I can understand having a minor in a certain language can be good for various job prospects but what about a minor in the sciences?

At my institute, in order to get a minor in mathematics, the courses we need are:
- First-year calculus: Calc I and Calc II
- Linear algebra (Probably very basic: "An introduction to vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations and three-dimensional geometry")
- 9 credit hours from 2nd or 3rd year math courses (3 credit course = 1 semester class)

which, to me, does not seem very rigorous at all.

I'm interested in keeping up with my mathematics but plan on pursuing a degree in pharmacy. Should I pursue a minor in mathematics seeing how I'm going to enroll in various math courses during the summer and on the side while doing my degree? Pharmacy only requires Calc I and I'm willing to go the distance to learn more.

Also, are there any particular "core" courses that I absolutely must have under my belt that any undergraduate mathematician would have?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're going into pharmacy, it's nice to have a math background, but really Calculus I is all you really need. If I were you, I would minor in something that would be highly beneficial in the work place, such as biology or biochemistry.

Also, are there any particular "core" courses that I absolutely must have under my belt that any undergraduate mathematician would have?[/QUOTE]

-Real analysis, modern (abstract) algebra, modern geometry

I wonder if a minor in Commerce is of any use for science/engineering students?

Thanks for the comments so far. I suppose a minor in something related to what I do would be beneficial for my job prospects although would it really help me that much? I mean, looking at the requirements for getting a math minor, it does not seem like much. I could probably attain it without courses beyond Calc III.

Perhaps I'll get a minors in both mathematics and chemistry?

One thing to keep in mind is that these courses teach you something beyond just math, and you're probably at a point in your life where you can afford to "dabble".

You'll get a lot of problem solving experience as well as discipline from something a hard-core analysis course, and something like differential geometry/topology can be quite fun.

Five years down the line you'll come up against something really challenging and you'll think back to the time when you pulled an all-nighter to prove the Gauss-Bonnet theorem on an assignment... you might find that you have more confidence in yourself for having done those courses.

What are the benefits of having a minor?

Having a minor can provide a well-rounded education by allowing you to explore a different field of study in addition to your major.

Does having a minor increase job opportunities?

Having a minor can make you stand out to potential employers by showing that you have a diverse skill set and are able to handle multiple subjects.

Can a minor complement my major?

A minor can complement your major by providing a different perspective and enhancing your understanding of your chosen field of study.

Are there financial benefits to having a minor?

Having a minor can potentially increase your salary or job prospects, as some employers may offer higher pay or prefer candidates with a diverse educational background.

Is it worth the extra time and effort to pursue a minor?

The decision to pursue a minor ultimately depends on your individual goals and interests. However, having a minor can provide a competitive edge and open up additional opportunities in your career.