Questions Chiral centers,Markonikov's rule

• Thread starter predentalgirl1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chiral
In summary, the conversation is about a request for someone to check over questions and solutions before 7:00 am. The discussion also includes corrections and clarifications about chiral centers and the reactivity of certain compounds.
predentalgirl1
I put all of my questions/solutions in the attached file...could someone please check over them before 7:00 am to see if I have them correct? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Organic_Chemistry_Problems3.doc
    182.5 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question 1:
part c) H2S is a product, not a reactant.
part d) You're missing a chiral center. The 4-position Carbon is chiral for the elimination products. It's not quite symmetrical.

bonus looks correct!

Bonus is wrong. There are 2 chiral centers and neither is near enough to the amine to cause racemization. The amine is not a chiral center.

3- and 4-vinylcyclohexanethiol each have 2 chiral centers.

e) is wrong since Br2 adds anti to double bonds, not randomly. You need to make models to see it maybe.

Last edited:
chemisttree said:
Bonus is wrong. There are 2 chiral centers and neither is near enough to the amine to cause racemization. The amine is not a chiral center.

I hate it when I rush through these questions! I'm wrong, of course. You were correct in your answer that there is only one chiral center. That said, the amine is certainly not a chiral center and is not reactive with the chiral alcohol.

3- and 4-vinylcyclohexanethiol each have 2 chiral centers.

Arrrrgggghhhh! I did it again here! There are 2 chiral centers on the 3-vinyl compounds and only 1 for the 4-vinyl compounds.

e) is wrong since Br2 adds anti to double bonds, not randomly. You need to make models to see it maybe.

Got that one right.

1. What is a chiral center?

A chiral center is a carbon atom that is bonded to four different groups. This results in the molecule having two non-superimposable mirror image forms, known as enantiomers.

2. How do you determine the number of chiral centers in a molecule?

To determine the number of chiral centers in a molecule, you must look at the carbon atoms and identify those that are bonded to four different groups. These carbon atoms are considered chiral centers.

3. What is Markonikov's rule?

Markonikov's rule states that in the addition of a hydrogen halide to an unsymmetrical alkene, the hydrogen atom bonds to the carbon atom that already has the most hydrogen atoms bonded to it. This results in the formation of a more stable carbocation intermediate.

4. How does Markonikov's rule relate to the formation of chiral centers?

Markonikov's rule can affect the formation of chiral centers in certain reactions. For example, the addition of a hydrogen halide to an alkyne can result in the formation of a chiral center if the initial alkene has a chiral center and the addition follows Markonikov's rule.

5. Can a molecule have multiple chiral centers?

Yes, a molecule can have multiple chiral centers. The number of chiral centers in a molecule is equal to the number of carbon atoms that are bonded to four different groups. Therefore, a molecule with multiple carbon atoms can have multiple chiral centers.